CP 421 Upgrade

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CP 421 Upgrade

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Dajudge wrote:And yes the port-A-potty is still at Hively. Trucks come and go.
That would be the purpose of those buildings - a place where the truck occupants could come and go.
My thought is that the portables never left. It makes sense that they remain at CP 421 where rail is still being removed. They may have just not picked up the units at Hively. If the PTC rumor is true that would give the workers a reason to be in the area long enough to need a facility.

If I recall correctly NS replaced all of the switches and diamonds at Main St a couple of years ago ... before pulling everything out for the recent rebuild. I see the lack of real estate being the biggest deterrent to a fourth track. I also do not see the benefit being worth the cost. The money would be better off spent elsewhere.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

justalurker66 wrote:I also do not see the benefit being worth the cost. The money would be better off spent elsewhere.
#Hick-to-Porter-3rd-Track :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

If you search for "Hively Road underpass Elkhart" you will get several PDF results showing that that it under current study for grade separation.
One study giving the proposed date of 2020.

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

With reference to a 4th track I'm told it's just going to be a siding for staging off track 1. It will not go into town but will run somewhere between MP417 (Sunnyside) and 420 Indiana. But again, this is just rumor, not substantiated. As for the Hively underpass, just do it!

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Elkhart March 9th
Elkhart March 9th
Museum lead under construction
Museum lead under construction
Amtrak 49 departs to Chicago (March 10th)
Amtrak 49 departs to Chicago (March 10th)
I found a construction marker for "Pro Fence" at the far west end of the platform (just one, apparently lost under the snow until it melted). No fences installed yet.

I did not see the new switch for the museum lead but it appears NS is piecing together the track. All the old track between the new and the old platform has been dismantled.

I finally managed to be up early enough to catch a morning train ... 29 was 47 minutes late and 49 two hours late but these are catches not possible during the week for me.

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

A crew was out measuring the new fence line today with their hi tech leveling device. They found all the key stake locations so it appears the fence crew will be showing up soon, maybe April. The front end loader was busy leveling all the ballast from old track 1 and 2. Grade appears to be below surroundings. I bet asphalt is coming soon. I wonder if they plan to cover the brick as it is very unlevel for walking in some areas. Also crews and track MOW equipment out working on museum lead today. Sorry, did not have camera with me. Sure is fun to see trains role through at 30 to 32 mph after all these years. I wonder if the old signal bridge is going down by the museum lead switch? Probably closer to midway so spectators / kids can walk under it.

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

As suspected the fencing team has been out and started their job. So far the east and west end supports are all in place leaving just the long run next to the new platform. Then comes the fencing itself.
Attachments
Old track 1 and 2 closed off
Old track 1 and 2 closed off
West end
West end
Protecting the cabinets
Protecting the cabinets

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

Switch for the museum is installed. Track from the old mains is being pieced back together to connect the switch to the museum existing track.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Dajudge wrote:As suspected the fencing team has been out and started their job. So far the east and west end supports are all in place leaving just the long run next to the new platform. Then comes the fencing itself.
It seems strange to put in the structure for the fence at both ends of the platform without putting anything along the platform - unless no fence is planned along the platform.

The east end fence lines up with the markers as previously discussed: Along the east edge of the parking lot, then the south edge of the parking lot to a point in line with the west edge of the control cabinet, toward the control cabinet to a point that would have been in the middle of track two then west to the point in line with the east end of the platform, ending behind the no trespass sign at the east end of the platform.

The west end fence is a similar pattern running north from behind the sign at the end of the platform to the old platform, then west to a point just beyond the old platform, then north to a point just north of the old platform.

6ft tall? I made a quick stop on Friday at sunset and did not have time to measure.

The fence will probably be more annoying for NS crews (no longer able to use the station parking lot to access CP 421) and transport drivers (already driving around the end of the fence at the west end of the platform) than railfans. If they do fence along the platform I hope it is something small (3ft) so people on the train and platform can see the station.
East
East
West
West

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Well based on the photos it will foul up the sightlines from the platform to an extent. Definitely would have appreciated a 3-4' black and more decorative fence like at Durand, but oh well...

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:Well based on the photos it will foul up the sightlines from the platform to an extent. Definitely would have appreciated a 3-4' black and more decorative fence like at Durand, but oh well...
Shoot west from the east end and east from the west end. If you want a pan shot go to the middle. Not the hardest fence to avoid.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

justalurker66 wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:Well based on the photos it will foul up the sightlines from the platform to an extent. Definitely would have appreciated a 3-4' black and more decorative fence like at Durand, but oh well...
Shoot west from the east end and east from the west end. If you want a pan shot go to the middle. Not the hardest fence to avoid.
But it limits my options and I don't like that! :lol:

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

Justalurker66 wrote;

"It seems strange to put in the structure for the fence at both ends of the platform without putting anything along the platform - unless no fence is planned along the platform."

All I can say is I saw stakes with pink ribbon and marking along the platform back behind the new "Elkhart" signs last winter. I guess we'll see.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Dajudge wrote:All I can say is I saw stakes with pink ribbon and marking along the platform back behind the new "Elkhart" signs last winter. I guess we'll see.
The markers where the fence was installed said "Pro Fence" on them. The ones along the platform had numbers ... footage markers for building the platforms and placing signs.

Sunday photos ...
The path around the west end for vehicles.
The path around the west end for vehicles.
The view from the platform where the old platform connects to the new.
The view from the platform where the old platform connects to the new.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The fence at the east end of the parking lot.
The fence at the east end of the parking lot.
A picture taken from the park.
A picture taken from the park.
The new path for NS vehicles. Over the curb.
The new path for NS vehicles. Over the curb.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Waddy wrote:Switch for the museum is installed. Track from the old mains is being pieced back together to connect the switch to the museum existing track.
The new switch.
The new switch.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Poor signal bridge...still standing but it doesn't seem like anybody knows what the heck is due to happen with it! :lol:

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

I haven’t been following this project too closely so forgive me if this was already answered, but what’s going to go in between the current station and the new platform? Looks rather awkward without anything there.

Also, what’s the museum lead for? New exhibit coming soon?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

Today the chain link fencing was installed on both the east and west supports. The stakes I saw there earlier in the winter along the platform are now gone and it appears the fencing effort is finished. Sorry, no shots by me today. To busy Dyngusing. Lurker can get them next time he's by there.

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

[quote="NSSD70ACe"]I haven’t been following this project too closely so forgive me if this was already answered, but what’s going to go in between the current station and the new platform? Looks rather awkward without anything there.

Major realignment at CP421 (Elkhart) over the last 12 months. As you can see CP has been streamlined down to 3 tracks past the station all up against the museum side of the property. This includes signaling east and west bound, new Grand Elk feed track switch location, Diamond removal, and super elevation around turn with 30 mph MIN speed limit. Go back in the prior 18 pages of this blog and read up.