CP 421 Upgrade

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CP 421 Upgrade

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Yep ...
cp421-170921a.jpg
cp421-170921b.jpg
I guess it really doesn't matter which side of each signal the ladder goes on. :)
(The northern bridge support landed on the old coach track.)

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Another new signal at CP 421.
cp421-170922.jpg
For the Kalamazoo Branch or a temporary for taking down the bridge?

There is no sign of a temporary for Track 1 eastbound, which would also be needed to remove the bridge. If this is a temporary it is in a bad spot as it is before the switch where the Kalamazoo Branch enters Track 2, So I am thinking permanent signal for the Kalamazoo Branch. However, I expect the Kalamazoo Branch signal to have a single red light for the top head not 3 over 3. A "Clear" signal from a route passing through the diverging side of a switch? The Kalamazoo Branch gets that now but the track is physically straight to Track 2.
Last edited by justalurker66 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tttodisp »

The info I saw implies what the photo shows.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

I was there when the NS was installing the new signal by the CP 421 bridge and it is for the Kalamazoo Branch. I heard if from one of the supervisors myself as one of the workers was asking what it was for.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:The info I saw implies what the photo shows.
That location for the Kalamzoo Branch signal would allow a train serving the E&W to clear the switch east of Prairie St without entering the interlocking. They might even be able to stop short of Middlebury St and be clear of both road crossings. More importantly, an eastbound could clear the interlocking and stop to open the switch to the E&W.

Although the way current CP 421 is wired, once the train is clear of the diamond the interlocking behind the train can be changed before the train clears the current signals. I have seen that with eastbound branch trains.
GTW wrote:I was there when the NS was installing the new signal by the CP 421 bridge and it is for the Kalamazoo Branch. I heard if from one of the supervisors myself as one of the workers was asking what it was for.
It is good to have confirmation.
cp421-170922.png

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Obtained an aerial shot from atop the new 5 mast signal bridge. Eastward view by the way which shows how the new mains, new coach track and both freight leads line up now at 421. Looks good in the drawing.

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

As of today the new signal at the east end of the interlock for west bounds is in place with nine signal heads on their three mast. Didn't have camera at the time. Can some else take a shot and post? Just east of the Prairie St overpass behind St Vincent church.

9xs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 9xs »

Dajudge wrote:As of today the new signal at the east end of the interlock for west bounds is in place with nine signal heads on their three mast. Didn't have camera at the time. Can some else take a shot and post? Just east of the Prairie St overpass behind St Vincent church.
Which of the top heads have 3 lights as opposed to those that only have one top light for red. This will give an idea of how the track movements will be set up. This doesn't apply for the bottom two heads as you can get medium approach medium, medium clear, restricting, and other indications from those signals.

Dave

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

All three tracks will be main tracks straight through the interlocking. All three tracks should have the same signal heads. I'll see if I can get a shot tomorrow, but based on the previous photos I took I believe it will be three three light signal heads for each track (no more limiting the signal to Medium Speed). All three head aspects will be available.

(I couldn't see the bottom heads in my photos. And of course everything is subject to change. Even if the heads are there today they can be removed.)
CP412
CP412
(BTW: The new signals at CP 423 have three heads with three lights for all three tracks EB and Tracks 1 and 2 WB. Track 3 WB at CP 423 has a single red light as the top head for trains entering the yard/early bird track.)

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

It looks like Track 3 WB at CP 421 will be different than Track 2 and Track 3 (2 over 3 over 2 instead of the full 3 heads).
The next signal at CP 423 is 1 over 3 over 3 on Track 3.
(Signal crews are out at CP 423 at the moment.)

From the "subject to change" department ... the Kalamazoo Branch signal has been changed to a more expected arrangement. The "South Freight" signal is also on the bridge in the same 1 over 3 over 3 arrangement.

And a little to the east on the branch is the replacement CP 95. The signals are bagged but I believe it is 2 over 3 WB and 3 over 2 EB at CP 95.
CP 421 WB
CP 421 WB
CP 421 WB Kalamazoo Branch
CP 421 WB Kalamazoo Branch
CP 95 Lives!
CP 95 Lives!

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

9xs wrote:Which of the top heads have 3 lights as opposed to those that only have one top light for red. This will give an idea of how the track movements will be set up. This doesn't apply for the bottom two heads as you can get medium approach medium, medium clear, restricting, and other indications from those signals.
signal232.png
Eliminating the top green removes "Clear" (a train staying on Track 3 would get Approach or Approach Medium depending on what is set at CP 423).
Eliminating the bottom green removes "Slow Clear" and "Medium Approach Medium".
(Slow Approach would flash the lower yellow. The limited aspects would not be used due to the curve speed.)

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The rest of the EB heads were put up this afternoon.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

I need to look, but I need to see if the existing 3rd track between 426 and 423 has any signaling or not.

CP 95 will be it's own MCP now. Kinda like CP 3. Probably dual control with Grand Elk

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Can't signal the "Early bird" between 426 and 423. Too many yard switches and it runs right thru the fueling station. So I suspect we will have the status quo. Unsignaled running track from 426 to 423

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:Can't signal the "Early bird" between 426 and 423. Too many yard switches and it runs right thru the fueling station. So I suspect we will have the status quo. Unsignaled running track from 426 to 423
The Coach Track has one switch crossing over to North Freight just west of Oakland Ave. That makes it a prime candidate to become a third track.
The WB cantilever at CP 423 has the signals spaced to match the current track spacing (with a larger gap between Track 3 and Track 2 than there is between Track 2 and Track 1.

I heard a confused engineer on the radio today tell the dispatcher that he was waiting on the Coach Track and wanted to move. The dispatcher corrected him to let him know he was on the Early Bird and gave permission. (A train on the Coach Track would have had bigger problems with the closure at the east end.)
CP 421 EB
CP 421 EB
Arial work
Arial work

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The new ATCS antenna
The new ATCS antenna
CP 421 looking west
CP 421 looking west

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

I have a sneaking suspicion the oddball westbound only automatic west of the Amtrak platform is now gone.

The approach circuitsoff 421 for 1 west of the plant seems to now be dead.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

1EAK last seen 2017/10/02 20:39:51 (20 minutes ago).

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

I will look again. 421 receiving is acting funky at times.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

it is my display. Or has the #13 switch out of correspondence at 421 for a long time?

Never mind, its back now.