CP 421 Upgrade

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CP 421 Upgrade

Unread post by justalurker66 »

As work continues around the curve I have reached the limits of my camera's zoom ...
cp421-170819e.jpg
cp421-170819w.jpg
Based on what has been built so far I have created a diagram for the new CP 421 (subject to change as new track is laid). The heavy silver track has been built. The thin gray track has not been built and is a guess. As more track is built a clearer picture can be drawn.
cp421-170819.png
BTW At the left of the top picture is a new signal base for a temporary signal location.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Assuming the 5 signals on left of diagram is the new CP 422. 5 of us foamers were there Friday night, 2 ATCS types with that info to share.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Super Chief wrote:Assuming the 5 signals on left of diagram is the new CP 422. 5 of us foamers were there Friday night, 2 ATCS types with that info to share.
We will see what is built. The new cabinet by the eastbound North Freight and South Freight (where the new signal bridge is laying on the ground) is labeled MP.CD-421.90. The uninstalled smaller cabinet by the station signal bridge is labeled MP.CD-421.44. The westbound cantilever is around the corner east of Prairie St (421.19). Oakland Ave is 422.43 ... the end of circuit for the freight tracks is east of Oakland Ave (at 12th St) with yard switches east of Oakland Ave.

I'll wait for a white on blue sign before I call it anything other than CP 421. :)

As noted, there is still a lot of work to do west of the existing EB signals ... but the thick lines are what have been built. I expect the new tracks south of South Freight to be built next, then with temporary signal relocation, South Freight can be realigned south of the current path to tie in to the new interlocking. Then North Freight can be realigned. Then the rest of the interlocking can be built (right hand crossovers and what will become Track 1). Perhaps by next weekend enough of the tracks south of the current South Freight will be built to see what is coming.

I expect the new EB bridge to be installed near 6th St (not Oakland Ave ... which would leave no approach tracks between the yard and the CP), That will give about 5600 ft between CP 423 (which will be universal three tracks) and CP 421.

BTW: I assume you were not one of the guys from Wisconsin.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Today's work ... North Freight west of the signals.
cp421-170823.jpg
(Both pieces of orange track equipment are on North Freight.)

Trains passed occasionally on South Freight today.
cp421-170823a.jpg

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

justalurker66 wrote:
cp421-170819.png
That is close to what I saw on the NS diagram. The west two facing crossovers were marked "future expansion" however on the layout I saw. But they may have decided to go ahead and put them in.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

I am hoping that once the tracks south of South Freight are ballasted that the switches will be easier to see. Tomorrow we should be able to see what they did to North Freight today (but it is on the curve and hard to see).

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Added "kink" in North Freight (not as sharp as it appears, but the reverse curve was not there before Wednesday)
Added "kink" in North Freight (not as sharp as it appears, but the reverse curve was not there before Wednesday)
Work underway south of South Freight
Work underway south of South Freight

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Thanks for all the progress pictures. Quite a change, just for kicks whats the end count going to be for number of switches added vs old plant where a diamond and a couple of switches were eliminated. That will be an interesting figure?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Today's close up ...
Today's close up ...
New estimate based on what I have seen built so far. Thick silver has been built, thin grey has not been confirmed.
New estimate based on what I have seen built so far. Thick silver has been built, thin grey has not been confirmed.
Why yes, they do run trains on these tracks!  Grand Elk on Coach, NS 1070 Wabash passing on Track 2. Backlit. :(
Why yes, they do run trains on these tracks! Grand Elk on Coach, NS 1070 Wabash passing on Track 2. Backlit. :(

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

South Freight is a little further south than it was on Sunday.
North Freight Signal
North Freight Signal
Relocated South Freight Signal
Relocated South Freight Signal

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Effective 12:01 PM Monday, 08-28-17, the following track configuration change will be effective.

The South Freight Track will be re-aligned and the following depicts the new route that will be
encountered at CP 421.

Eastbound moves on the South Freight will route through two new turnouts. The first turnout encountered
will be a trailing point, normal move through a #15 Left Hand turnout. The second turnout encountered will
be a trailing point, diverging move through a #15 Right Hand turnout. The signal governing Eastbound
moves on the South Freight will be located on a standalone mast on the South side of the South Freight
track.

Westbound moves on the South Freight will follow the same route as listed above in reverse. The first
turnout encountered will be a facing point, diverging move through a Left Hand #15 turnout. The second
turnout encountered will be a facing point, normal move through a Right Hand #15 turnout. The signal
governing Westbound moves on the South Freight will be unchanged at the CP 421 overhead mast.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Effective 12:01 PM Wednesday, 08-30-17, the following signal changes will be placed in service.

8E signal will be retired and a new 8E placed in service.

The North Freight Track will be re-aligned and the following depicts the new route that will be
encountered at CP 421.

Eastbound moves on the North Freight will route through 2 new crossovers (a total of 4 turnouts). The
first crossover encountered will be a diverging move through a Left Hand #15 crossover. The second
crossover encountered will be a diverging move through a Left Hand #15 crossover.
The signal governing Eastbound moves on the North Freight will be located on a standalone mast on the South side of the
North Freight track as described above.

Westbound moves on the North Freight will follow the same route. The first crossover encountered will
be a diverging move through a Left Hand #15 crossover. The second crossover encountered will be a
diverging move through a Left Hand #15 crossover.
The signal governing Westbound moves on the South Freight will be unchanged at the CP 421 overhead mast.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

A look at CP 421 today ...
Looking west through the plant. North freight continues with a "kink" beyond the signal. The old South Freight ends where the old signal was located. The new South Freight signal (10E) is to the left through the turnouts.
Looking west through the plant. North freight continues with a "kink" beyond the signal. The old South Freight ends where the old signal was located. The new South Freight signal (10E) is to the left through the turnouts.
A closer look at the back of 10E and 8E. The new signal bridge is under construction in the background. Look close and you can see the end of the old South Freight.
A closer look at the back of 10E and 8E. The new signal bridge is under construction in the background. Look close and you can see the end of the old South Freight.
Complete so far. Thick silver lines are built. Thin gray lines are not. The red line is today's path of North and South Freight.
Complete so far. Thick silver lines are built. Thin gray lines are not. The red line is today's path of North and South Freight.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:Effective 12:01 PM Monday, 08-28-17, the following track configuration change will be effective.

The South Freight Track will be re-aligned and the following depicts the new route that will be
encountered at CP 421.

Eastbound moves on the South Freight will route through two new turnouts. The first turnout encountered
will be a trailing point, normal move through a #15 Left Hand turnout. The second turnout encountered will
be a trailing point, diverging move through a #15 Right Hand turnout. The signal governing Eastbound
moves on the South Freight will be located on a standalone mast on the South side of the South Freight
track.

Westbound moves on the South Freight will follow the same route as listed above in reverse. The first
turnout encountered will be a facing point, diverging move through a Left Hand #15 turnout. The second
turnout encountered will be a facing point, normal move through a Right Hand #15 turnout. The signal
governing Westbound moves on the South Freight will be unchanged at the CP 421 overhead mast.
They are not mentioning the crossover east of the signals which replaced the "1NW" switch in the plant. Otherwise, the photos show exactly as described.
LakeATCS wrote:Effective 12:01 PM Wednesday, 08-30-17, the following signal changes will be placed in service.

8E signal will be retired and a new 8E placed in service.

The North Freight Track will be re-aligned and the following depicts the new route that will be
encountered at CP 421.

Eastbound moves on the North Freight will route through 2 new crossovers (a total of 4 turnouts). The
first crossover encountered will be a diverging move through a Left Hand #15 crossover. The second
crossover encountered will be a diverging move through a Left Hand #15 crossover.
The signal governing Eastbound moves on the North Freight will be located on a standalone mast on the South side of the
North Freight track as described above.

Westbound moves on the North Freight will follow the same route. The first crossover encountered will
be a diverging move through a Left Hand #15 crossover. The second crossover encountered will be a
diverging move through a Left Hand #15 crossover.
The signal governing Westbound moves on the South Freight will be unchanged at the CP 421 overhead mast.
That makes sense. The western crossover is not installed (I believe they have it staged south of South Freight).
It is nice to see all of these changes with only minor disruptions in traffic.
The new location of 8E is the old location of 10E ... both signals will be south of the tracks they control.

The 'after" picture for tomorrow ...
cp421-170829d.png
(As noted, the thin light gray lines are my expectations, not any official plan. Note that I have turned the RH crossover on the new South Freight to reflect the geography of the interlocking instead of the ATCS display.)

BTW: "Danella" trailers have appeared near Prairie St on the Kalamazoo Branch and at 419 intermediates. I normally see these before major signal work.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tttodisp »

I don't see any changes in the active bits. Could the new switches be locally controlled, either by hand by the crews or by the signal team?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:I don't see any changes in the active bits. Could the new switches be locally controlled, either by hand by the crews or by the signal team?
The new switches are locked in position and are not being moved. Trains are passing through with ATCS showing a straight path. Trains do not currently cross between North and South Freight.
cp421-170830.png
cp421-170830.png (4.71 KiB) Viewed 2832 times

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

The new switches are dual control GRS 5H machines. (pretty funny in itself since the Lake division is installing M23s). They are probably in HAND mode with a padlock on them.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

10E and 8E and the new track work.
10E and 8E and the new track work.
Preparing for the next step. Panels of tracks sitting at 421.90 and the new westbound signal bridge.
Preparing for the next step. Panels of tracks sitting at 421.90 and the new westbound signal bridge.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tttodisp »

Both the 8E and 10E signals should be temporary ones, as the new signal bridge in the background has five masts for all five eastbound routes at CP 421.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Work continues ... the new track 1 is being laid between North Freight and the Coach Track. The switch for the eastern crossover and two long strings of rail are on the ground. The crew has started to lay out ties to build the track. (The switch for the Kalamazoo Branch and western RH crossovers have not been laid out.)
cp421-170906a.jpg
The signalling crew has been busy too adding the top level to the signal bridge (no signals seen yet).
cp421-170906b.jpg