Iowa Pacific move on the LIRC?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Iowa Pacific move on the LIRC?

Unread post by dmitzel »

As I'm working during the week in Columbus, IN this Pullman Rail Journey's ad caught my eye:

https://www.travelpullman.com/ride/kentucky-derby/

Here's the details on the southbound movement/schedule:

Day 1 – Wednesday, May 4: Leave Chicago 5:45 pm, as part of the Hoosier State
Arrive Indianapolis at 11:50 pm, separate from the Hoosier State. Guests remain aboard sleeping cars for all overnights in Louisville.

Day 2 – Thursday, May 5: Depart for private tours in Louisville area after breakfast.

I'm assuming once they cut off the Derby consist from the Hoosier State at Indianapolis Union Station they'll run down the wye and follow the LIRC former PRR Indy-Louisville route. I figure any brave souls that want to wait overnight trackside along the LIRC might be in for a treat - rare to see varnish on this route now that AMTK has vacated the express business years ago (and prior to that, the Floridian in the '70s due to bad PC track conditions). If I can manage I might do so myself.

Anyway, return trip north to Indy is during the overnight hours between Saturday evening on the 7th and Sunday morning's 0600 EDT departure of train 851 in Indy.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Iowa Pacific move on the LIRC?

Unread post by dmitzel »

Anyone catch the SLRG (Iowa Pacific) Derby Special leaving CUS today? Wondering what the AMTK 850 Hooser State consist is with this section attached.

I'm staking out MP 41.1 on the LIRC in Columbus IN tonight... hoping for a classic consist of E-units and streamlined varnish in ICRR orange and chocolate brown. 8)
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.