Goshen and Butler IN worth it for a 2 day trip?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Goshen and Butler IN worth it for a 2 day trip?

Unread post by CSXBOY »

HI I need some help I keep going to Wauseon and keep seeing NOTHING but 2 trains I was there for like 3 hours. Then I thought well maybe if I go to like butler IN and Goshen that could change. Because i heard that Goshen is becoming triple track and I always wanted to go to Butler because I want to see the CP trains turn. Is there any legal spots to view trains in Goshen and Butler? Also is it busier than Wauseon? I have never heard of these two places so I need some feedback I railfan the Chicago line all the time But never like this.

Thanks once again Graeme Case

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Re: Goshen and Butler IN worth it for a 2 day trip?

Unread post by Jetlink »

There is a municipal park just south of the Chicago line tracks on the main drag in Butler that you can hang out in. The junction with the Wabash is back east a bit from there. We have had railroad fan meets at the park. My understanding is that hanging out at the actual diamond is frowned upon but you can go to the nearby grade crossings and watch the Wabash traffic. Hope this was helpful. I'm by no means the Butler expert but have been a few times.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

The triple track between Elkhart and Goshen is complete. I have not tried to find long term parking to watch the line for a full day. There are at least a couple of places where one can stop and not have problems.

I suppose one could find three hours with only two trains. Mostly the same trains that pass through Butler (although you will get Marion Branch trains in Elkhart/Goshen). Butler certainly would be closer for you.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

One of my places I set is CP 412.3 at the Martin's Supermarket. The new control point's are lit all the time. Another loctions I like is on the street across for the Cemetry in Goshen. New signals at CP 412 westbound and are lit all the time. Hope this helps.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

ATCS also helps (I use mine from a home computer with remote access via Team Viewer). That way you have a clue beyond the signals if there are trains approaching and how far out they are. Butler is not covered but CP 3 on Marion, CP 412 and CP 421 are reported and CP 417 has weaker coverage.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

justalurker66 wrote:ATCS also helps (I use mine from a home computer with remote access via Team Viewer). That way you have a clue beyond the signals if there are trains approaching and how far out they are. Butler is not covered but CP 3 on Marion, CP 412 and CP 421 are reported and CP 417 has weaker coverage.
Bulter is covered faintly by a server based in Bryan OH

fwarailfan.net port 4801

Coverage is maybe 30% and it's only CP 358 eastward. But better then nothing.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:Butler is covered faintly by a server based in Bryan OH

fwarailfan.net port 4801

Coverage is maybe 30% and it's only CP 358 eastward. But better then nothing.
Thanks ... I had that disabled in my layout.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

What time do you go to Wauseon? In the times that I've gone this fall & winter, I usually get there between 9 and 10 AM and can get 8-10 over the next few hours without any problem. For what it's worth, in the NS scheme of things the afternoon "dead spot" existed during Conrail ops, doesn't seem to exist any longer.

That said, Butler does offer the advantage of the CP traffic - although, the ex Wabash from there to Adrian is much more interesting photography wise.
CSXBOY wrote:HI I need some help I keep going to Wauseon and keep seeing NOTHING but 2 trains I was there for like 3 hours. Then I thought well maybe if I go to like butler IN and Goshen that could change. Because i heard that Goshen is becoming triple track and I always wanted to go to Butler because I want to see the CP trains turn. Is there any legal spots to view trains in Goshen and Butler? Also is it busier than Wauseon? I have never heard of these two places so I need some feedback I railfan the Chicago line all the time But never like this.

Thanks once again Graeme Case

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

No. Butler is getting light in CP traffic, I hear maybe 6-8 calling 437 per 24 hours.
As for Wauseon, you've just been unlucky. NS is busy.
Also, remember, 2016 has been a horrible beginning to railroads - Many are in the economic stability of the near-crash in 2009.
CSX in four logs this month have been between 11 and 18 trains in 10 hours in Bremen, on the CSX Chicago Line. Total bust. Between 12PM and 10PM

Wauseon is busy from 5am till 11am, then 2pm until 6pm for westbounds, then 7pm to 9pm for eastbounds.
Night gets crazy...
NS runs so many during the night time, such as 21J, 21E, 21M, 23Z, 20T, 20W, 24Z, 24N, 22W, 22K, 23K, 23M, and all the other mixed freights and oils mixed in.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

It's the CSX Garrett Sub, not the "CSX Chicago line" FWIW
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow