Columbus IN LIRC yard history

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Columbus IN LIRC yard history

Unread post by dmitzel »

I'm headed to Columbus next week for work and was scoping out local rail activity online for my off hours. Looking over Google Maps' satellite view I see the Louisville and Indiana has a neat "pocket-sized" yard north of town - one that could be easily modeled to scale.

Was this yard built by the L&I or did it exist in CR days (or earlier)? The yard office/depot looks new from what I can tell.

Thanks.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Columbus IN LIRC yard history

Unread post by CSX_CO »

dmitzel wrote:I'm headed to Columbus next week for work and was scoping out local rail activity online for my off hours. Looking over Google Maps' satellite view I see the Louisville and Indiana has a neat "pocket-sized" yard north of town - one that could be easily modeled to scale.

Was this yard built by the L&I or did it exist in CR days (or earlier)? The yard office/depot looks new from what I can tell.

Thanks.

built during late PRR, and more likely PC, to get the railroad out of downtown Columbus. A Sampling Of Penn Central has the story.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

Built in 1972 and paid for by the City of Columbus. Ken

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Thanks, gents! I found a copy of the 'Sampling of PC' book on Amazon, and ordered a copy. Looks to be a great read.

Best,
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

dmitzel wrote:Thanks, gents! I found a copy of the 'Sampling of PC' book on Amazon, and ordered a copy. Looks to be a great read.

Best,
Mr Taylor was based in Indy when he took the photos (he explains in the intro) so the scope is limited to the Southwest Division out of Indianapolis. For someone that knows that division it is cool to see how it was.