A New Life for the National New York Central Railroad Museum

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

A New Life for the National New York Central Railroad Museum

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

http://www.elkharttruth.com/hometown/el ... ments.html

Looks like NYC 3001, PC 4882, and the old freight house are getting a new lease on life, with a new $500K fund addition, thanks to the City of Elkhart. About darn time in my honest opinion.

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Re: A New Life for the National New York Central Railroad Mu

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

According to the article this funding is for restoration of the building which is the former NYC freight house. The new funding does nothing for restoration of the 3001 or any other equipment at the museum. An improved building may draw more people, but it still won't be enough to make the museum self sufficient. Unless a new funding source comes about, the museum will continue to operate at the mercy of the taxpayers of Elkhart in the long term. Mayor Moore seems to be soft on the museum, but the current mayoral race is very tight, and a new administration could spell trouble for this project and the long term future of the museum. A larger revenue source needs to come about such as running excursions with some of their equipment after restoration. Some major donations and corporate partnerships would need to be obtained to make that happen. An excursion schedule on Grand Elk or Elkhart and Western would bring in huge money and make it viable much like the 765 and FWRHS.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Mayor Moore lost the mayoral race, so it will be interesting to see what the new mayor does.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Do they actually make any money on excursions, given the cost of running them?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".