Norfolk Southern Marion Branch

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Norfolk Southern Marion Branch

Unread post by justalurker66 »

rob46580 wrote:The 16 signals been fixed and is up, now seen them working on Warsaw yesterday. And the crossing protections live near cp 19.
Warsaw has the new signals on the ground near the old (the new northbound is around the curve in the yard so it does not block the road). It doesn't look like any digging has started in Warsaw.

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

You didnt notice the ladders being bent around out of way?

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

SB signal bottom....
Attachments
12307927_10205254534990607_5588184177307694897_o.jpg

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

I did not have a lot of time to look. I believe the other bases were lying on the ground. I didn't see that one planted behind the current signal.

Was the southbound signal base in place last week or did Interrail get that installed this week?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

I went back and took a closer look, Wabash southbound and westbound bases are in the ground. The other two are laying near their locations.

There are 10 new signals in the yard at Claypool ... (most next to the Lions park)
CP 35 2S A,B (3 over 2 - Main)
CP 35 2S D,E (1 over 3 - Siding)
CP 35 2N A,B,C (3,2,3 - Northbound)

44S/44N Intermediate for MP 44.42 (one head in each direction)

For Speicher ...
CP 53 2S A,B,C (3,2,3 - Southbound)
CP 53 2N A,B (3 over 2 - Main)
CP 53 2N D,E (1 over 3 - Siding)

CP 54 2S A.B (3 over 2 - Main)
CP 54 2S D,E,F (1,3,3 - Siding)
CP 54 2N A,B,C (3,2,3 - Northbound)

I did not see anything for Milford or CP 21.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

I was down at CP 79, and there were orange cones and a lot of trenching around the Dwarf off the goodman runner.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Warsaw Diamond signals are up (not active).

No signals seen at Milford Jct or CP 21. It looks like the same 10 signals were waiting for transport in Claypool (I did not take a count as there was an event at the Lions hall and I did not want to intrude).

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

CP 35 signals are up ... with a crew working south of Claypool at another location this morning. A crew was also spotted at CP 19.

No signals at CP 21 or Milford. Some of the new signals south of Claypool wiil be the style where the signal mast is on the top of the cabinet.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

As seen near 75N / 75S near Marion Indiana.
Blinding Railroad.jpg
Do you think they meant "Blind Railroad Crossing"?

(No signal changes to report.)

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

I have not seen interail around up north at all over weekend. ..

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

No changes this weekend. Hopefully everyone had a safe and happy holiday and can get back at work! :)

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

seen interrail is back in area this week....

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Nothing noteworthy at Milford Jct or South Leesburg.
A couple more signals have made it into the field south of Claypool ... 41S/41N will be mounted on top of the electronics cabinet, but the cabinet is on the same side of the tracks as the existing signals so the heads have been removed to avoid obstructing vision.

CP 54 southbound signals remain on the ground at Claypool. The rest of the signals that were photographed at Claypool have been moved to their sites.

JSOH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JSOH »

Hey all. Quick question about this line. I just moved back to IN after living in FL for 20yrs. and my job is right by this line in New Paris. I can look out the office window and see the trains as they go by. It's pretty fun. Question is I've seen some CN and CP power on the line, are these trains reroutes off the Water Level route down to the NKP to send them to the Fort and up the Wabash? I can't think of another explanation for them. Also, saw a coal train yesterday with 2 CSX units leading a third NS unit. Haven't seen coal run past yet, was this also a reroute from the NKP?

Thanks!
JS

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

NS uses foreign power all the time. Probably nothing more than normal traffic. The coal trains do run occasionally up the branch.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The branch was hosed today by a problem just south of Warsaw.

I first noticed around 1 PM that a pass was lined up at Leesburg with a southbound entering the siding and a northbound leaving Claypool. I drove south expecting that pass was long competed and arrived south of Warsaw around 2:38pm to find a train with a gap between cars at MP 28 (the gap was literally at MP 28 with the engines and a few cars to the north and a string of cars to the south blocking the next road crossing.

A mechanic was pulling up at a nearby private crossing so I figured they would fix the problem and be on their way. I continued south (ending up going south of Marion chasing a local going to a POET facility) then on the way back north found the train still blocking the crossing at 9:30 PM. The front portion of the train was in Wabash on the street running section waiting for the automatic signal to clear so they could go back south. (I did not check, but I wonder if they set out a car on the siding south of Warsaw.)

It is now 12:20pm and it appears that they are now northbound through Warsaw. The southbound at Leesburg had cut their train for the crossing. With the number of hours involved I expect there were crew changes. And with the single track blocked south of Warsaw nothing was getting through.

Anyways ... the reason I went was the signals. Nothing major to report. Nothing new at Milford Jct (bases and cabinet delivered a long time ago still sitting there). Nothing new at CP 21 (antenna mast delivered a long time ago still sitting there). Nothing new staged at Claypool (CP 54 SB signals still waiting for pickup). I did not see any new installations south of Claypool.

I did not see anything new in Marion other than a moving train.I watched it back from the Red Key Conn onto the Marion branch then head south to POET.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Crew that was working on the Marion Branch project has quit for the winter.

Nothing to do with the cut and slash, this was planned before all that started. But we will see when they start back up in the spring.

florida581
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by florida581 »

Have NS Elkhart - Marion trains 311 and 312 been abolished?

Jhall
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jhall »

Yes,

368 Muncie to Elkhart& 369 reverse of have taken those spots.

Jeff

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Annnd, work has begun again.

A couple new home signals should be up at Warsaw.