Steamer in Elkhart yard

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Steamer in Elkhart yard

Unread post by Super Chief »

Elkhart yard was pretty much cleaned out today from Labor day. Upon heading east past it because it was so empty I saw a steamer and two tenders on flat cars. Any body have a clue as to who's moving them and to where? Both tenders were lettered the same Central ?. Didn't catch the last name on it cause of the snowplow in front of it.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Steamer in Elkhart yard

Unread post by railohio »

There are two, former Canadian Pacific, moving from Virginia to Manitoba.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Thanks railohio now that I think about it the tenders had Virginia Central on them. Most of the upper engine was silver as that is all I saw .

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Super Chief wrote:Thanks railohio now that I think about it the tenders had Virginia Central on them. Most of the upper engine was silver as that is all I saw .
Trains Magazine has the Steamers and Tenders bound to The Prairie Central Railway for restoration to operational status on excursion trains.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

These are two former Canadian Pacific G class 4-6-2 pacifics that were owned by Jack Showalter until his passing in 2014. They sat stored in Virginia since the early 90's when CSX banned steam and haven't run since. Both are famous excursion engines that had been running since the Nelson Blount days of Steamtown. They were purchased to head back to Canada and be stored on the Prairie Dog Central pending future use.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)