Bikes Will Be Allowed on The South Shore.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Bikes Will Be Allowed on The South Shore.

Unread post by Jochs »

Starting next spring, you will be allowed to bring your bike aboard a South Shore train, during a one-year pilot program. Bikes will only be allowed on weekends.
http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/lo ... 9f675.html
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Bikes Will Be Allowed on The South Shore.

Unread post by justalurker66 »

"Some seats will be removed to make room for the 25 to 30 bike racks that would be installed on each of the trains where bikes would be permitted ..."

So I suppose this becomes "standing room" when these cars are used for weekday service.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Bikes Will Be Allowed on The South Shore.

Unread post by justalurker66 »

South Shore trains to 'kick the tires' on bike pilot program

CHESTERTON | A trial run for the South Shore bikes-on-trains pilot program is expected to take place later this month.

Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District General Manager Michael Noland made the announcement Friday at NICTD's board meeting.
"We hope to have them in place by the end of October, on a Saturday or a Sunday, so that we can kick the tires so to speak before starting the program in the spring," Noland said.

Noland didn't specify in which cars the trial run would take place.

"Ultimately, by next spring, we will have 25 to 30 per car, or 75 to 90 bike opportunities with three cars," Noland said.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/sout ... a9f05.html

They will be converting entire cars to bikes ... 25 to 30 bikes per car (depending on how many racks they can fit in). This is different than other railroads do ... sharing ADA space with bicycles and allowing only a few bikes per train.