Limo vs train in New Paris, Indiana

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Limo vs train in New Paris, Indiana

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Limo vs train in New Paris, Indiana

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Ooops.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Well that's what you get for turning a dodge into a limo.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

SousaKerry wrote:Well that's what you get for turning a dodge into a limo.
Chrysler 300..
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That limo took the hit much better than I would have thought :o :shock:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

They were fortunate the frame was on the rails. The car just slid along top.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Yep. A nice clean center mass hit - the limo was low enough that it stayed on the plow. The crossing protection did not stand a chance, but the damage was limited. If the limo was thrown from the tracks there could have been more damage to the pole line or nearby property.

I wish that those present would have ad the presence of mind to call the number on the crossing protection or 911 before the train arrived. The "cameraman" is defensive about the incident "just a couple of minutes before the train came" yet one of the passengers is seen on the video north of the crossing where he was walking around the curve. Fortunately they had the presence of mind to get out of the limo.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I wish that those present would have ad the presence of mind to call the number on the crossing protection or 911 before the train arrived.
To be fair, how many people have the presence of mind to look for a phone number at a railroad crossing? How many people know there are train dispatchers, or that trains have radios/ Just playing devils advocate for a minute here.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

911 is available for those who do not see the bright blue signs facing the road (as seen on the video).

Perhaps my "oh (bleep)" reflexes are better honed. I'd like to know more about what the driver (the responsible adult in the situation) did after he realized that he could not clear the crossing. Perhaps he thought he could get away with his error and not report it to police or his boss. I realize that many people have the wrong reaction when caught on tracks (usually in a stalled vehicle).

The first call should have been to 911 (if not the posted emergency number at the crossing). If he made any other call (a tow truck, limo dispatch, etc.) he made the wrong call.

Otherwise, what we have here is a teachable moment. According to YouTube comments the video has already been shown to limo drivers in Fort Wayne. Hopefully along with the "don't do this" conversation was the "but if you do, call 911 immediately".

BTW: Before pictures of the limo can be seen on the limo company's website. http://www.southbendlimousine.com/Vehic ... 00-stretch

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Elkhart Co Sheriff Office Faxebook report:
https://www.facebook.com/ecsdnews/video ... =2&theater

Comments have now been deleted and disabled on the YouTube video ... not so much on the Sheriff's website.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

If they had plowed ballast all the way to Warsaw they could have continued with their street running. The limo I mean.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

I did not realize how much of a hump that crossing was until I went over it last night. I was thinking it was a shallow hump that was just a little too tall for a long low vehicle ... but there is an obvious hill there. Especially eastbound (the direction the limo was traveling).