Pine Junction Railroad Police Bad?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Pine Junction Railroad Police Bad?

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

Is Pine Junction CSX and NS or CN cops going to come harass you? It is THE busiest rail destination in the entire midwest, and I heard they tightened up security there. I know many people go there without a problem, but anybody ever have trouble there?

Also, what is the best place to park without getting harassed?

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Pine Junction Railroad Police Bad?

Unread post by railohio »

Tier4GEVO wrote:It is THE busiest rail destination in the entire midwest
Disagree. Plenty of busier places in the city.
You have two options: on the road, or on the side of it. Use your best judgement.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

railohio wrote:
You have two options: on the road, or on the side of it. Use your best judgement.
What is busier? Please don't say Dolton...

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

Tier4GEVO wrote:
railohio wrote:
What is busier? Please don't say Dolton...
What's wrong with Dolton?
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

What's wrong with Dolton?[/quote][/quote]

Absolutely nothing, my point is that Pine Junction is busier than Dolton by a tad.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Tier4GEVO wrote:Absolutely nothing, my point is that Pine Junction is busier than Dolton by a tad.
Only when Tad is visiting Pine Junction. Wherever Tad goes it is busier by one Tad.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I do not recommend sitting at Pine Junction anymore. Ever since the CN took over the J, it seems everyone down there has become more hostile to railfans. The CSX and CN police will not usually tolerate you being there, even if you're not on their property. There are far more scenic spots with plenty of train action within an hour of Pine.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:I do not recommend sitting at Pine Junction anymore. Ever since the CN took over the J, it seems everyone down there has become more hostile to railfans. The CSX and CN police will not usually tolerate you being there, even if you're not on their property. There are far more scenic spots with plenty of train action within an hour of Pine.
I understand, but if your just sitting on the side of the road, thats gravel, doesn't the city own that making it public property? I thought once you get by the rocks by the tracks, then it becomes private.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

A Previous Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25058

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

justalurker66 wrote:A Previous Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25058
Very helpful thread, thanks. However, I'm skeptical, I might just hit Dolton, what the heck.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Tier4GEVO wrote:Very helpful thread, thanks. However, I'm skeptical, I might just hit Dolton, what the heck.
I have not visited Pine ... diesels are not my favorite kind of trains. But the place has a long history of railfans being asked to leave. There have to be better places to watch a train.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I'm curious. How can railroad police ask you to leave public property, if you are conducting yourself in a lawful manner, and have a right to be there. What can they do if you refuse to leave and it is public property? They can't very well charge you with trespassing. So what can they do if you refuse to leave and you are on public property. Sorry to belabor the point, but there are simply too many people using 9/11 and terrorism to overstep their authority, from rail cops, to security guards to the Marathon goons.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Define "public property". In the case of Pine Junction all of the property is owned by one entity or another (various railroads, the city, a utility, the DNR) and the east/west property line between tracts is the center of the road. The road exists as a right-of-way that allows access for travel.

Unless more clearly defined (normally in deeds and easements) Indiana road right-of-ways are generally defined as the traveled portion of the road. Park with a tire off of the traveled portion or stand off of the traveled portion of the road and you are not on the right-of-way. Stay on the traveled portion and you will probably have trouble with the truck traffic and complaints about blocking the road.

If you are not traveling the road you lose the right-of-way. Parking and watching trains is not traveling. One might try to stay on the city owned or DNR owned land and claim that is somehow "public property" but one can still trespass on publicly owned land. Being "publicly owned" does not convey an unrestricted right to occupy or use the property.

In Indiana the property does not have to be signed as "no trespassing" ... the police officer telling you to leave is authority enough. (The property owner or agent can also instruct you to leave.) Railroad police are real police even off railroad property. One must comply with the lawful order of a police officer. If one believes the order is not lawful the recourse is to sue the officer.

Your best bet is private property with written permission from the property owner. Or hope that anyone who notices your presence does not fully enforce the letter of the law.