16 Yr Old Hit, Killed in South Bend

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

16 Yr Old Hit, Killed in South Bend

Unread post by justin_gram »

16 year old male hit while walking west on the NS Chicago Line in South Bend today...

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/south-be ... rain/33810
This is the 5th incident in less than a month involving pedestrians vs. trains.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 16 Yr Old Hit, Killed in South Bend

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

Wow. More South Bend Hit and Kills. What's next, a South Bend NS kills a person taking a graduation photo on the tracks?

STAY OFF THE TRACKS

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

UPDATE: South Bend police name teen struck by train
http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/south-be ... n/33810088

And sadly - that person, 16 year old Elijah Brooks, became the fifth one killed by train while walking along the rail road tracks.
. . .
Brooks was killed less than 100 yards from where another person was struck and killed by a train earlier this week, on Tuesday.

In both fatalities, the victims were walking along side the tracks, were clipped and killed on impact.

BTW: From that article ...
"When you have something of that weight and that momentum, you know,and they're traveling, there's even a vacuum long side of the of tracks, you get pulled into the train," [Lt. Gene Eyster with the South Bend Police Department] said.

A man who missed that episode of Mythbusters. :shock: Still ... stay a safe distance away from the trains.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

justalurker66 wrote:

BTW: From that article ...
"When you have something of that weight and that momentum, you know,and they're traveling, there's even a vacuum long side of the of tracks, you get pulled into the train," [Lt. Gene Eyster with the South Bend Police Department] said.

A man who missed that episode of Mythbusters. :shock: Still ... stay a safe distance away from the trains.
That seems to be a common misconception amongst emergency personel. Ive been told by a police office as well as my grandfather ( a firefighter for 50 years) that same thing. Either that or it is a scare tactic. Who knows.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

You could also look into there being a mental sensation that close that naturally drives you closer to the train. Not sure how true that is but I've heard of it.

But as always,

Stay off the tracks and you can't get hit.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

For the record, this was the second pedestrian fatality in a week, and the fifth pedestrian fatality in the South Bend/Mishawaka area since May 1, 2015.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1