Teen Hit/Killed by Train in Mishawaka.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Teen Hit/Killed by Train in Mishawaka.

Unread post by Jochs »

A 15 year-old was hit and killed by a train Thursday in Mishawaka. Apparently he was standing on the tracks watching an eastbound train, and was hit by a westbound.
http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/official ... t/33273204
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Teen Hit/Killed by Train in Mishawaka.

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

WSBT's shot was on Main Street, right by the model RR club's building. Don't know if it's still there or not, but there used to be a hobby shop about a block to the west. Gotta wonder if the kid was a railfan exercising really, really bad judgement.
~ Charles W.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

I was at the St. Joe Valley RR club in March, and they had to move out of their building by June IIRC..maybe July. I can't remember when they had to be out of their building. If they're not out now, they are still in the process of moving out.
BTW, Mishawaka is a "No Horn" town. Horns are not to be blown unless there is someone on the tracks, then they have to call Chicago East that they blew their horn and why. I imagine the train sounded the horn. Perhaps the kid was deaf....?
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

First media reports said that the train was sounding the horn ... the person the reporter spoke to said that horn sounding was odd - the witness knew there was something wrong. I didn't see the second train in the first article I saw but I wondered if the trespasser saw one train and didn't hear a horn from behind him.

People shouldn't be on the tracks anyways (only at crossings when no trains are moving on any track and crossing protection is not activated). The words "teen" and "bad judgement" seem to go together way too often (and yet I managed to survive my "bad judgement" years).

EDIT: Here is WNDU's version of the story mentioning the train horn sounding for 30 seconds.
http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Mish ... 85561.html