Waterloo, IN

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Waterloo, IN

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Signal bridge on the west end is not long for the world. Interail installed the #1 track EB replacement signal today and both supports and signal shacks as we were leaving around 5pm. Also, atleast 3 other signal crews are working between Bryan and Elkhart.
Last edited by TrainWatcher on Wed May 06, 2015 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Waterloo, IN

Unread post by justalurker66 »

TrainWatcher wrote:Signal bridge on the west end is not long for the world. Interail installed the #1 track WB replacement signal today and both supports and signal shacks as we were leaving around 5pm. Also, atleast 3 other signal crews are working between Bryan and Elkhart.
Do you mean track 1 EB signal? The signal bridge is the eastbound at Waterloo. I assume that this is the three headed signal that was laying by the bridge on Sunday. Were the other two signals still laying south of the tracks across from the platform?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Yes sir. #1 EB. #2 sounded like it would be set on it's base today (Wednesday).

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Today ...
Waterloo May 8th
Waterloo May 8th
Interrail was out working on signals west of Waterloo.

The two signals across from the platforms have labels identifying them as 3692W/3692E and 3691W/3691E destined for CD 369.70 west of Waterloo.

The furthest west that I saw new signals set out was at CR 500 west of Kendallville. I saw a couple of concrete bases set out at different locations further east.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

I personally saw a cantilever base delivered to Kendalville.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:I personally saw a cantilever base delivered to Kendalville.
There are two cantilevers sitting north of the tracks at Kendalville (unassembled) Two towers and two walkways with fold up railings on the top deck. There was also a three head signal off to the east side of the yard ... but there were two signal bases sitting next to it so it may have been placed there for storage (similar to the 369 signals set off at CP 367). The three headed signal may also be destined to control the access from the "Kendalville Terminal Railway".

Was the base you saw delivered set near a signal location?

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

They dropped it near the WAS and moved it with a crane somewhere.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:They dropped it near the WAS and moved it with a crane somewhere.
The new signal bases between Elkhart and Goshen were delivered in pieces with a crane setting each concrete plate on top of each other to build a base ... then dirt was put around the base to help anchor it. The base was still at CP 415 the last time I looked ... and gone from 414. I wonder if 414's base was moved to Kendallville? Reuse would be good - if possible.

Other than Kendallville, do you see any cantilevers planned? Edgerton Ohio has new signals on wayside masts (not in service). Butler still has a couple of NYC/Conrail signals to upgrade. Waterloo has the waysides pictured above. CP 395 Ligonier appears to be getting wayside signals for the westbound. (Nothing obvious at CP 397.)

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

358 will probably escape being touched. It was upgraded to current spec during the connection construction.

NS does seem to be on a cantilever kick, Payne OH got two/

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:358 will probably escape being touched. It was upgraded to current spec during the connection construction.
CP 358 westbound entry signals are type-g. I expect that they will be updated to vaders.
I missed seeing the Huntington District EB signals ... have they been upgraded?

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

justalurker66 wrote:
LakeATCS wrote:358 will probably escape being touched. It was upgraded to current spec during the connection construction.
CP 358 westbound entry signals are type-g. I expect that they will be updated to vaders.
I missed seeing the Huntington District EB signals ... have they been upgraded?
The Type-Gs got some new heads to protect CP-360 when the connection went it.

Everything I have seen indicates they may be the sole G heads left from Elkart to Toledo. The Wabash side type Gs will stay as well.

matt76
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by matt76 »

Got my own picture the other day along with one before the new signals started going up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattditton1976/
Attachments
waterloo 6.jpg
signals waterloo.jpg

matt76
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by matt76 »

Looks like all signals between Waterloo and Brimfield are about to be replaced.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

matt76 wrote:Looks like all signals between Waterloo and Brimfield are about to be replaced.
As well as east of Waterloo..

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

There are signs of work all the way to CP 395 (Ligonier). The signal replacements east of Waterloo are more imminent (more new signals seem to be ready to activate). I wonder how many miles of signals NS will activate in each day when they start turning on the new ones?

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Signal bridge at Waterloo still there as of Saturday, 5/30/15.
nycwaterloo.jpg
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

Was only one set of signals around cp 395? there are now some at cp 397, and 2 of them are way east of the current wb signals, thinking maybe 395 will become intermediates and a universal setup at cp 397?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

rob46580 wrote:Was only one set of signals around cp 395? there are now some at cp 397, and 2 of them are way east of the current wb signals, thinking maybe 395 will become intermediates and a universal setup at cp 397?
Last week 395 had three "Type-G" signals - two westbound and one eastbound plus one vader eastbound. Three new vader signals were delivered on the ground. 397 had four new vader signals on the ground.

If they were converting 395 to intermediates they would not need four signal masts. The signals delivered to 395 were two and three headed vaders.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Was down in Waterloo yesterday. NYC bridge still there. Caught 29 trains in 7 1/2 hours which is a new record for me. Nice UP SD 90 MAC on one train and a KCS Southern Belle on another. Only one CP auto rack train.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

jrgerber wrote:Was down in Waterloo yesterday. NYC bridge still there. Caught 29 trains in 7 1/2 hours which is a new record for me. Nice UP SD 90 MAC on one train and a KCS Southern Belle on another. Only one CP auto rack train.
Nice! What time where you there from?

Was in Oak Harbor the other day, caught 38 trains in 11.5 hours!!!