New CSX locomotives

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
MDH
rp.net addict

Re: New CSX locomotives

Unread post by MDH »

Gee, if only there were a well maintained long running roster site for all the big railroads that you could go to for good roster info...

Oh wait.

There is: http://www.thedieselshop.us/
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MDH wrote:Gee, if only there were a well maintained long running roster site for all the big railroads that you could go to for good roster info...

Oh wait.

There is: http://www.thedieselshop.us/
TDS is okay, but the Bull Sheet is better.

The thread isn't for showing a roster, that is far from the point. We've never published a roster. The thread is all about discussion. We list the changes sure, but I mean talking about all of it is the true reason for those of us who enjoy the stuff.

Also, TDS and the Bullsheet just list units. They don't do analytics, TDS doesn't even do paint schemes. That is something that I am willing to find readily and without hesitation for anybody who asks. My roster compiles tons of data to produce values on model type, number of each model in each paint, etc. Not claiming that I am holier than thou...not at all. I'm just saying that if you want to know without counting up everything on TBS, then I'm more than willing to give it to you.

So that's the reason for the roster threads, the NS one, too. Those lists are out there if you want them, but it is all about discussion.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

MQT3001 wrote:The thread isn't for showing a roster, that is far from the point. We've never published a roster. The thread is all about discussion. We list the changes sure, but I mean talking about all of it is the true reason for those of us who enjoy the stuff.

Also, TDS and the Bullsheet just list units. They don't do analytics, TDS doesn't even do paint schemes. That is something that I am willing to find readily and without hesitation for anybody who asks. My roster compiles tons of data to produce values on model type, number of each model in each paint, etc. Not claiming that I am holier than thou...not at all. I'm just saying that if you want to know without counting up everything on TBS, then I'm more than willing to give it to you.

So that's the reason for the roster threads, the NS one, too. Those lists are out there if you want them, but it is all about discussion.

Going out on a rabbit trail here, I assume you have your information organized in someway, other than in your head. How? Do you keep all the information for your rosters in a program on the computer, or do you have a notebook or something you can carry the information around with you (i.e. school, home, etc.)?

By the way, nice shots Bjett. Thank you for sharing them with us.
~ Charles W.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The roster and auxiliary supporting pages are kept in a Excel document, which calculates everything for me. This is opposite Bob, who keeps paper records of everything! Actually, both styles are good complements, because there are different sorts of mistakes to be made in both kinds of formatting. We cross-check all the totals routinely to be sure we're on the same numbers.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

bjett
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bjett »

Going out on a rabbit trail here, I assume you have your information organized in someway, other than in your head. How? Do you keep all the information for your rosters in a program on the computer, or do you have a notebook or something you can carry the information around with you (i.e. school, home, etc.)?

By the way, nice shots Bjett. Thank you for sharing them with us.[/quote] Thank You, always appreciated.

Organized? I'll jump on that one. I have been taking photo's of trains since 1971. Only thing I have is note books on where, when locomotives and time. NW I have in the slide box numerical by locomotive number. I have a few thousand slides, photos and etc. I have tried different methods of keeping track. All were finally a screwed up mess one way or the other. I use to do a lot of slide shows so I started leaving those slides in the carousels with a list of what where and when. Worked well for awhile but now it's hunt and peck time to find something. I do not like having to explain why I do something as everyone has a mind of their own and can think of what I say or do in a thousand directions. I made the post of the new CSX locomotives where I did because to me it was Indiana information. I have friends who would find the post there where as it would not be seen in Information or CSX roster or what ever unless they were looking for a particular locomotive. If the administrators find I need to move or a delete a post I will do so. Other wise censored, censored, censored, censored , censored, censored, censored, censored. ,