NE Indiana NS Chicago Line PTC project

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NE Indiana NS Chicago Line PTC project

Unread post by rob46580 »

There seems to be activity on Marion Branch now, power indcator light on at mp 16. work in bungalow at cp 21, and a single test atcs packet from cp 19 or cp 21 came in thru server at my house today.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

That would not be a bad place to see changes. Especially if NS indications for Milford Jct and Wabash can be added. I made a run to Warsaw on Sunday and didn't see any changes since my report in the Marion thread. But I was not looking close enough to see power lights.

What was the MCP address?

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

rob46580 wrote:75502430190202
I have that as "East Sidney".

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Not sure if it was in this thread or not, but I mentioned that the public ATCS file for the aggregator had an error with the CSS at LaPorte. I caught it on the feed yesterday. Posting here since I know the authors are watching :)

Basically the wrong signal shows as clear when the CSS gets lined across.
IMG_2569.JPG
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

Saturnalia wrote:Not sure if it was in this thread or not, but I mentioned that the public ATCS file for the aggregator had an error with the CSS at LaPorte. I caught it on the feed yesterday. Posting here since I know the authors are watching :)

IMG_2569.JPG
Because, You usually have to make a guess when your decoding using logfiles only.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

LakeATCS wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:Not sure if it was in this thread or not, but I mentioned that the public ATCS file for the aggregator had an error with the CSS at LaPorte. I caught it on the feed yesterday. Posting here since I know the authors are watching :)

IMG_2569.JPG
Because, You usually have to make a guess when your decoding using logfiles only.
Fair enough, I just figured you guys would like to know so it can be updated :)

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:Basically the wrong signal shows as clear when the CSS gets lined across.
IMG_2569.JPG
So what got swapped? The approach bits or the signal bits?

I'd guess NAK and SAK are swapped but one can only be sure if one has additional information to know which way the train was going.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

justalurker66 wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:Basically the wrong signal shows as clear when the CSS gets lined across.
IMG_2569.JPG
So what got swapped? The approach bits or the signal bits?

I'd guess NAK and SAK are swapped but one can only be sure if one has additional information to know which way the train was going.
I'm not one with lots of ATCS knowledge, but the CSS train was heading northbound, but the ATCS feed gave it a southbound signal. The train then moved over the diamond to the north side of the tracks.

Granted, I guess I could see where the train may have been southbound and the approach blocks were swapped. While I have no way of knowing for sure, it was in the late afternoon so I surmise it was in fact a northbound. :?

I guess it'll have to wait until somebody can positively ID which way the train is going then?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:I'm not one with lots of ATCS knowledge, but the CSS train was heading northbound, but the ATCS feed gave it a southbound signal. The train then moved over the diamond to the north side of the tracks.

Granted, I guess I could see where the train may have been southbound and the approach blocks were swapped. While I have no way of knowing for sure, it was in the late afternoon so I surmise it was in fact a northbound. :?

I guess it'll have to wait until somebody can positively ID which way the train is going then?
Without knowing for sure which direction the train was headed it is only a guess. If the only information we have is ATCS and the time of day it would be fair to guess that a train would go south in the morning before returning north in the afternoon. (I believe the run starts in Michigan City and heads south.)

I have set up a trap for 462's data. We should be able to confirm the data in a few days.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

I believe this is correct ---
CP462-170314.png
CP462-170314.png (9.64 KiB) Viewed 9556 times
This is assuming CSS sent a train southbound in the morning (SAK at 9:20am CT, SGK at 9:33am CT, NAK at 9:35am CT and clear at 9:37am CT) and a northbound in the afternoon (NAK at 2:44pm CT, NGK at 2:57 pm CT, SAK at 3:01 pm CT and clear at 3:02 pm CT). The approaches were correct and the signals were swapped.

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

According to a post I saw on Facebook today, it looks like I can confirm that the intermediates at CD 251 in Gypsum, OH have not been cut over yet... So they must not be cutting over completely from east to west... Not sure if the signals surrounding it in Danbury (248) or in Port Clinton (253) have been touched.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

First bulletin posted in a while.

CP-212 over near Lorain is being replaced.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Okay here we go. This should start the march Westward.

New automatics turned on at 317, 314, 312, and 309 on Aug 21st

August 20th
new CP 304
#1 power switch at MP 304.9, for Westward movements from the Main1 Track to the Swanton Siding Track.
#3 power crossover at MP CD 304.8, for Eastward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 2 Track
#5 power switch and power derail at MP 304.8, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the East End of Swanton Yard Track.
#7 power crossover at MP CD 304.7, for Eastward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 2 Track.
2W located over and to the right of the Main 1 Track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 304.7
6W located over and to the right of the Main 2 Track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 304.7
2E located to the right of the East End of Swanton Yard Track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 304.8
4ED located to the right of the Swanton Siding Track
4EA located to the right of the Main 1 Track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 304.9
6E located to the right of the Main 2 Track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 304.9

new CP 306
#1 power switch and power derail at MP 306.4, for Eastward movements from the Swanton Siding Track to the West End of Swanton Yard Track.
2WD Home Signal located to the right of the West End Swanton Yard Track on a High signal mast at MP CD 306.3.
2WA Home Signal located to the right of the Swanton Siding on a High signal mast at MP CD 306.3.
2E Home Signal located to the Left of the Swanton Siding on a High signal mast at MP CD 306.4.

new CP 307
#1 power crossover at MP CD 307.0, for Eastward movements from the Main 2 Track to the Main 1 Track.
#3 power switch at MP 306.9, for Eastward movements from the Main1 Track to the Swanton Siding Track.
2WA located over and to the right of the Main 1 Track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 306.9.
2WD located over and to the right of the Swanton Siding Track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 306.9.
4W located over and to the right of the Main 2 Track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 306.9.
2E located to the left of the Main 1 Track on a high signal mast at MP CD 307.1.
4E located to the right of the Main 2 Track on a high signal mast at MP CD 307.1.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Since 426 is more NE then NW I will put this here.

Test address seen for CP 426.

64 bits

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Looked like 7 switches

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Some housekeeping stuff posted.

Effective 12:01PM, Monday, 09-25-17
A new Westward Home Signal 4W located over and to the right of the Main 2 Track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 423.0. 369 Feet East of old signal

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:Looked like 7 switches
The current is 7 switches, so that makes sense.

The good news is I received 379 packets from the test address on my personal antenna. (927 via the aggregator, so not a perfect signal, but I have not been receiving CP 426.) Hopefully when it goes live the signal strength will remain high. (And this bodes well for CP 423 if given the same signal strength.)
LakeATCS wrote:Some housekeeping stuff posted.

Effective 12:01PM, Monday, 09-25-17
A new Westward Home Signal 4W located over and to the right of the Main 2 Track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 423.0. 369 Feet East of old signal
That cantilever has been up for a few months. The current mast signal appears to be in the way of the new crossover.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Signal crews are scheduled for tomorrow and Monday at 423.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Well here is some good news.

CP 423 test address. 4 switches. LOUD AND CLEAR! Only 7% errors.

So this pain in the rear to receive machine is going away!