Chesterton Rail Cam

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Chesterton Rail Cam

Unread post by heypal6878 »

I have been checking out the Chesterton Rail Cam tonight and in the last twenty minutes I have seen five trains and I passenger train. That is one busy line. How many trains run on those tracks daily?

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Re: Chesterton Rail Cam

Unread post by justin_gram »

About 90-100 trains through Chesterton/Porter, IN a day, I'd say.

The Amtrak you just saw was eastbound Capital Limited #30, bound for Washington, D.C.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I may take a trip up there this summer. Looks like a great place to railfan. Most of the trains that run up there are double stacks or tankers. Maybe three passenger trains a day. I also see some car carriers but plenty of double stacks. Passenger trains come pretty fast on the tracks most of the time. A good 45 mph I would guess. I gather the place where the camera is located this is a motel with a restaurant attached. Looks like on the weekends that place gets busy.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Yep, Chesterton is well known for variety, volume and velocity.

While Porter Junction sees 90-110 per day, only around 75-90 pass the camera on the Chicago Line.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

For Amtraks passing the camera: 2 westbound in the morning, 2 eastbounds in the evening, if running on time.

For Amtraks going through Chesterton but not passing the camera: IIRC, 12 (6 eastbound 6 westbound) come from the Amtrak connection daily.
2 (1 in morning 1 in evening) from the CSX Connection daily.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

It is 8 off the AML...three Wolverine round trips and the Blue Water round trip, all daily
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Ok... thanks for that info Alex.

So just remember 14 passenger trains go through Porter Junction a day... and a lot of freight.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

justin_gram wrote:For Amtraks passing the camera: 2 westbound in the morning, 2 eastbounds in the evening, if running on time.

For Amtraks going through Chesterton but not passing the camera: IIRC, 12 (6 eastbound 6 westbound) come from the Amtrak connection daily.
2 (1 in morning 1 in evening) from the CSX Connection daily.
You can hear them blow the horn on the Camera however.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Just very impressive with the camera view clear picture and the mike that hears the train horns in the distance. Need to check this place out this summer.

Thanks

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Yeah Chesterton is very busy. When I went there last summer There was a bed and breakfast called the riley's railhouse its right next store the busy Chicago Line. Here is there website link http://www.rileysrailhouse.com/

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

CSXBOY wrote:Yeah Chesterton is very busy. When I went there last summer There was a bed and breakfast called the riley's railhouse its right next store the busy Chicago Line. Here is there website link http://www.rileysrailhouse.com/
Yes, Riley's railhouse is who runs the camera and the radio/ATCS feed for that area. Cameras and antennas are on the railhouse.

We like to sit in the park between the railhouse and Calumet Ave. Then when something comes, just walk towards that railhouse parking lot.

This reminds me, I need to work on editing the video from last time I went on April 2, which I'm almost 1/2 way done doing. Maybe I'll be done in another 2 months :)