End of the "Hoosier State"

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: End of the "Hoosier State"

Unread post by Ypsi »

about time I guess..
The Hoosier State is the least-traveled of Amtrak’s routes
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

The people in states that support Amtrak should be very afraid of the new FRA rules that were applied to Indiana.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Ok, Typhoon, what are the new FRA rules?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2015 ... /24505977/
Gives some bullet points about the requirements. I would have liked to see how the Iowa Pacific operation would have worked out, but apparently the FRA doesn't.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

TrainWatcher wrote:Ok, Typhoon, what are the new FRA rules?
Here is the key paragraph ... emphasis added:
INDOT says the move follows new Federal Railroad Administration rules that would have deemed Indiana a rail carrier despite not owning any tracks or trains. INDOT says that would expose the state “to significant increases in cost, paperwork and liability.”
Should a state be forced to become a railroad to support a railroad? Or is this special distinction reserved for a state that wants to contract with a railroad that is not Amtrak (making it more difficult to choose another carrier for service)?

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

http://www.in.gov/activecalendar/EventL ... =syndicate

"Six years later, the FRA is developing rules governing states that now support the cost of passenger rail services.

Under new rules that the FRA is testing with Indiana, all states that support passenger rail services would be considered railroad carriers. This burdensome interpretation exposes states to significant increases in cost, paperwork and liability, including:

Liability for the actions of passenger rail providers up to $200 million for each occurrence of injury, death or property damage,
Hiring new staff to monitor plans and programs in compliance with federal rules, and
Interpretation that state employees are rail employees, subject to retirement and employer liability rules and limits."

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Typhoon wrote:

"Six years later, the FRA is developing rules governing states that now support the cost of passenger rail services.

Under new rules that the FRA is testing with Indiana, all states that support passenger rail services would be considered railroad carriers. This burdensome interpretation exposes states to significant increases in cost, paperwork and liability, including:

Liability for the actions of passenger rail providers up to $200 million for each occurrence of injury, death or property damage,
Hiring new staff to monitor plans and programs in compliance with federal rules, and
Interpretation that state employees are rail employees, subject to retirement and employer liability rules and limits."
Well I bet FRA testing new rules just backfired on them because to me,there is no point in all of that if Amtrak and CSX who will still run the trains,only difference being Iowa Pacific equipment,marketing,and service management, need to meet at the common carrier rules and liability insurance requirements anyway,you only causing a whole new level of redundant beacracy for no reason IMHO.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

And now Fred's commentary: The great "Hoosier State" fiasco
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

railohio wrote:And now Fred's commentary: The great "Hoosier State" fiasco
*like*
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:
railohio wrote:And now Fred's commentary: The great "Hoosier State" fiasco
*like*
2nd that

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Press Release
Indiana, FRA to Address Hoosier State Improvements
Agreements to Establish Clear Ownership for Safety, Access

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Department of Transportation and the Federal Railroad Administration reached an understanding of the clear lines of accountability for passenger rail safety and accessibility between Indianapolis and Chicago, allowing Indiana to implement long-term improvements to the daily service.

INDOT Commissioner Karl Browning met in Indianapolis with FRA staff last week to discuss the roles and responsibilities for providing safe passenger rail service. Indiana’s contracts would require Amtrak and Iowa Pacific Holdings, separately, to comply with all Amtrak and FRA requirements. In addition, INDOT would designate a staff member responsible for overseeing contract compliance.

“INDOT and the FRA share the guiding principles of access to safe mobility,” Browning said. “Based on these guiding principles, we are both committed to a path toward continuing the Hoosier State service.”

INDOT plans to continue existing Amtrak Hoosier State service in the near term until agreements can be finalized with Amtrak and Iowa Pacific. Amtrak, FRA and U.S. Food and Drug Administration inspections of Iowa Pacific equipment are ongoing.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

It seems kind of odd to me that IP decided to designate the Rio Grande as the operating company, rather then say Chicago Terminal. Not that it matters much either way.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

PerRock wrote:It seems kind of odd to me that IP decided to designate the Rio Grande as the operating company, rather then say Chicago Terminal. Not that it matters much either way.

peter
Probably due to the fact that San Luis & Rio Grande is already a passenger railroad and has the experience for it.