Indiana to propose railroad fine bill

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Indiana to propose railroad fine bill

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Hello all,

In keeping up with the "Take Back Dunlap" page on Facebook (I don't support them but I like reading the ridiculousness on there) and I discovered that Chris Yoder, a rep for the legislature in Indiana has proposed a bill that would raise the fines for all railroads operating in Indiana that block a rail crossing for more than 10 minutes. I did some research and it seems that in Michigan and several other states, any law that limited the time a train can block a crossing was thrown out when challenged by a railroad. It seems that this bill would affect NS most of all because of the Chicago Line in two areas: NW Indiana with all the industry and congestion and Elkhart, one of NS's busiest yards. Because of pickup of rail traffic at an unexpected rate (as per a Trains Magazine article about the issues on the Chicago Line), Robert R. Young Yard is often full and trains have to sit at CP 417 in Dunlap until they can get a clear path through.

It sounds like these laws go against federal regulation but I don't know too much about the entire subject of laws and I think this would be an interesting discussion. Thoughts? Here is a link to part of the proposed bill. Because Facebook is blocked by Kalamazoo Public School's routers, I will have to post the other links later.

http://in.aflcio.org/statefed/index.cfm ... 77156762FB

Thanks!
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Indiana to propose railroad fine bill

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I believe the fines are usually cut down under the argument the Feds have all rights to regulate interstate commerce, which is exactly what common carrier railroads are.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Indiana to propose railroad fine bill

Unread post by Bulby »

The law proposed in this bill is preempted by the Interstate Commerce Act of 1887, as amended. Case closed; drive through.
Apparently I work on GEs now...