Marion Indiana trains

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
matt76
Railroadfan...fan

Marion Indiana trains

Unread post by matt76 »

I was wondering if anyone had any info on Marion Indiana on which railroads run through there and how many trains a day pass through there. I'm always looking for somewhere new to take pictures and was wondering if Marion would be a place worth visiting. Thanks.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Marion Indiana trains

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I'm not sure the name of the shortline operation through Marion? Nor am I sure what the traffic volume is on that shortline. There are three branches, one running a short distance south southeast towards Gas City and then straight east well past I-69 to the town of Hartford City (Petoskey Plastics), a second running west northwest (ending just beyond a grain elevator at the town of Amboy), and a third running west southwest all the way to Kokomo.

The NS Marion Branch traffic is very spotty in this location. The bulk of the trains which head down the Marion branch at Goshen have long since departed at either Claypool or Wabash. Only a half dozen trains will ply the rails south of Wabash most days, with half of those making the connection in Alexandria, then heading to Muncie.

The diamond and interchange tracks in Marion are very easy to see from the nearby streets and crossings. If you park in the area, nothing will sneak up on you, as there are several road crossings both to the north and south of this location.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

311 and 312 are the only trains regularly running the entire length of the Marion Branch. There are at least two locals based in Marion, and I believe the shortline is the CERA and operates mostly at night. Half a dozen a day is not an accurate number, considering a normal day on the Marion Branch sees 8-10 trains north of Claypool.

142, 143, 144, 174 and 175 have all been running via Claypool for some time now, along with 365 and 366 which have always used the connection. 12K and 13K are no longer running. 18K and 19K use the Wabash connection. 311 and 312 are the only ones going all the way because they originate/terminate in Marion.
Bottom text.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

Y@ wrote:311 and 312 are the only trains regularly running the entire length of the Marion Branch. There are at least two locals based in Marion, and I believe the shortline is the CERA and operates mostly at night. Half a dozen a day is not an accurate number, considering a normal day on the Marion Branch sees 8-10 trains north of Claypool.

142, 143, 144, 174 and 175 have all been running via Claypool for some time now, along with 365 and 366 which have always used the connection. 12K and 13K are no longer running. 18K and 19K use the Wabash connection. 311 and 312 are the only ones going all the way because they originate/terminate in Marion.
IIRC 12K/13K were still running at the end of this fall. It has happened before where one pair of these two pairs of trains disappears for awhile. Isn't it because of crew reasons?
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

A few updates, 144 is no longer running, 142 replaced it, 143 now runs via Peru to Frankfort taking the place of 13k(13k may run still rarely, think i heard it once or twice since change) And NS will run 142 174 or 175 via Alexandria again sometimes.Plus they also run a lot of trains various routes using the CF&E or old nkp lines and atleast once I know of 16e going Chicago line and taking the branch down to Claypool. Plus an empty ethanol train (66G maybe) runs thru Marion or Ft Wayne. In short, between the CF&E/NKP routings and bellevue changes , I wouldnt be counting on any trains to run the Marion Branch as well as not be suprised by occasional trains using it that dont normally.
The way NS is routing trains lately due to Elkhart congestion in yard and crew issues or trackwork has had 174 and 142 take the Dayton district and up to oak harbor or sandusky to head to Elkhart.
Sorry I expanded this into a more general Marion Branch post over just Marion trains themselves.
As an added note the position light at CP 3 is going out with the work in Goshen, they say maybe in 2 weeks it may be replaced if they do the signal cutovers at cp 412.(timing from good source, but may it last longer)
On top of that the curve realignment where the branch joins the mains in Goshen is also about to begin.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

143 now runs via Peru to Frankfort taking the place of 13k(13k may run still rarely, think i heard it once or twice since change

13k was abolished for now...At least that's what the magazine I read it from said. You are dead on about the circuitous route 143 has to take though.
Exit stage left

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

I forgot also till today abut the NORX coal trains, I think they gave up on loads, kept coming apart down south of Manchester, but seeing the empty sb today reminded me :)

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

rob46580 wrote:I forgot also till today abut the NORX coal trains, I think they gave up on loads, kept coming apart down south of Manchester, but seeing the empty sb today reminded me :)
Funny because the last time I was out there, one of the empty sets came apart in two places fouling CP 53.
Bottom text.

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Well maybe empty and loads both are still running, but not as often, had reports of these running all the way to bellevue and back west before a few weeks ago!

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

That whole stretch south of Claypool is a nightmare for coal trains, loaded or empty. I'm surprised they keep trying it honestly.
Bottom text.