Car vs. Train in Kosciusco Co.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Car vs. Train in Kosciusco Co.

Unread post by Jochs »

A Leesburg woman was seriously injured when she drove into the path of a Norfolk Southern Train this afternoon in Kosciusco County.

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Car- ... 17991.html
The incident occurred near CP 19 on the NS Marion Branch. The crossing is marked with a stop sign and crossbucks. The story said she failed to lookout for the northbound freight train. I don't think weather was a factor, as at that time it was sunny and clear down in that area of IN, unlike up in SW MI where there was lake effect snow. I suspect the woman probably thought the stop sign was a suggestion. I've been waiting to photograph a train at a rural Indiana crossing before like that one and many people just run through the crossing with no intention of stopping.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Car vs. Train in Kosciusco Co.

Unread post by Saturnalia »

"Suggestion"? Are you Mr Thias?

Moffat Tunnel Chase - no cops, no stops!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Car vs. Train in Kosciusco Co.

Unread post by justalurker66 »

The intersection is a "T" between the county road and old State Rd 15. The railroad tracks (two track at that point between CP 19 and CP 21) are between the stop sign and the road. There is no space for a vehicle between the tracks and State Rd 15.

The stop sign is not just for the railroad tracks ... so please don't picture this as a country road with a railroad crossing half a mile from the nearest crossroad. The stop sign is also for the T intersection with old State Rd 15. Any car "flying through" without slowing down would end up in the field beyond old State Rd 15.

The train was on the main - furthest from old State Rd 15. The photo on the website has the police car in the background on CR 600 and the car that was hit spun around just north of the crossing. She probably ran the stop sign at a speed that would allow her to stop on the tracks at the T, then turn. With limited sight distances it would not be hard to miss a train on the main.

Of course one should stop a safe distance before the railroad ... look for a train THEN look for traffic on the cross road THEN cross the tracks and turn. The limited sight distance at that crossing doesn't help when one is watching for trains on two tracks and traffic on the crossroad.

(BTW: I last crossed this intersection about a week ago.)