Busiest Indiana rail hotspots 2015

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Re: Busiest Indiana rail hotspots 2015

Unread post by Jochs »

Nobody mentioned Ogden Dunes.
You get all the NS action (minus trains on the Porter Branch) plus most of the South Shore action ( all passenger trains, minus some of the freights that don't go that far away from the shops.)
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

~Z~ wrote:As mqt #1 mentioned, Elkhart.. You didn't mention at Butler how there are a number of trains that turn "south" at that spot to go towards Ft Wayne. There's also many industries online between Toledo and Chesterton that surely some trains go to. Also have heard of cars that start around Toledo, get sent to Elkhart to be classified, then end up on trains going east back through Toledo.
Didn't NS expand a yard in Belview Ohio? That will affect trains that would have run to Elkhart for classification and now can run through.

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Toppysager »

justalurker66 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:As mqt #1 mentioned, Elkhart.. You didn't mention at Butler how there are a number of trains that turn "south" at that spot to go towards Ft Wayne. There's also many industries online between Toledo and Chesterton that surely some trains go to. Also have heard of cars that start around Toledo, get sent to Elkhart to be classified, then end up on trains going east back through Toledo.
Didn't NS expand a yard in Belview Ohio? That will affect trains that would have run to Elkhart for classification and now can run through.
Well they are planning to. I don't think it's completed yet, but that would defiantly factor in.
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Well Elkhart does terminate trains, but it also originates them. It seems to function as a sorting office for their Chicago business. Inbound trains from the east are split to trains for the different Chicago yards. Eastbound stuff then comes in from the different yards in Chicago and are assembled into trains heading for various destinations on NS.

Overall, they're pretty similar east and west. Plus do not count out of the equation Elkhart-Porter trains that use the branch but were not included in the Chicago line count for the Porter tally
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:Well Elkhart does terminate trains, but it also originates them. It seems to function as a sorting office for their Chicago business. Inbound trains from the east are split to trains for the different Chicago yards. Eastbound stuff then comes in from the different yards in Chicago and are assembled into trains heading for various destinations on NS.

Overall, they're pretty similar east and west. Plus do not count out of the equation Elkhart-Porter trains that use the branch but were not included in the Chicago line count for the Porter tally
Wow so the Water-Level could be about 100-105 between Elkhart and the Porter Connection!

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Terra Haute count is a bit off. The CE&D *may* see 20-25. And what are the 5-10 other trains? I think you'd be lucky to see 50 in a 24 hr period.

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Mr. Tops wrote:Terra Haute count is a bit off. The CE&D *may* see 20-25. And what are the 5-10 other trains? I think you'd be lucky to see 50 in a 24 hr period.
Well all the different branch lines going everywhere. I've never been there so it was just a guess. From what I've witness the CE&D is at least 30 at least through Evansville, Vincennes, and Princeton where I railfnaned

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Toppysager wrote:
Mr. Tops wrote:Terra Haute count is a bit off. The CE&D *may* see 20-25. And what are the 5-10 other trains? I think you'd be lucky to see 50 in a 24 hr period.
Well all the different branch lines going everywhere. I've never been there so it was just a guess. From what I've witness the CE&D is at least 30 at least through Evansville, Vincennes, and Princeton where I railfnaned
What different branch lines? There's the CE&D, the St. Louis Line and the Danville Secondary (all CSX) and the INRD. Terre Haute's a cool spot but it's not that busy. The CSX lines are single track once you get outside of town and the Danville is only a pair of freights.
Last edited by cbehr91 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Deeeeeeerp. Warsaw must be a hot spot because there's a diamond. 30 a day on the Marion Branch and 20 a day on the Pennsy!!!
Bottom text.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Toppysager wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Well Elkhart does terminate trains, but it also originates them. It seems to function as a sorting office for their Chicago business. Inbound trains from the east are split to trains for the different Chicago yards. Eastbound stuff then comes in from the different yards in Chicago and are assembled into trains heading for various destinations on NS.

Wow so the Water-Level could be about 100-105 between Elkhart and the Porter Connection!
No, because of 10 movements off the AML and 6 off the CSX GRS means that number tops out at around 90.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Y@ wrote:Deeeeeeerp. Warsaw must be a hot spot because there's a diamond. 30 a day on the Marion Branch and 20 a day on the Pennsy!!!
What about Michigan City? It has a diamond, too where the AML and the South Shore cross! :mrgreen:
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Y@ wrote:Deeeeeeerp. Warsaw must be a hot spot because there's a diamond. 30 a day on the Marion Branch and 20 a day on the Pennsy!!!
30 a day on the Marion Branch? Still wouldn't crack the top 10 though

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Deeeeerrrrrrrrrp. :roll:
Bottom text.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Lollerskates on this thread...Oh yeah, you left out Fort Wayne
Exit stage left

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

redside20 wrote:Lollerskates on this thread...Oh yeah, you left out Fort Wayne
Well I have it on the full list, but I don't think it cracks the top 10, so I didn't have it listed

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Toppysager wrote:
JoJames wrote:Your a little low on the CSX Garrett sub.
Well it loses a lot at Deshler. Probably 70-75 E of Deshler on the Willard Sub. I can't imagine it being anymore than 65 through Indiana based on personal observations.
Just a little bit of FYI, JoJames's personal estimation trumps yours.

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Typhoon wrote:
Toppysager wrote:
JoJames wrote:Your a little low on the CSX Garrett sub.
Well it loses a lot at Deshler. Probably 70-75 E of Deshler on the Willard Sub. I can't imagine it being anymore than 65 through Indiana based on personal observations.
Just a little bit of FYI, JoJames's personal estimation trumps yours.
Umm...ok i was just debating. I never said he was wrong, I just gave my opinion. If its 75 trains per day then great...more trains!

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

This thread is full of lolz
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

I am so glad Y@ pointed me to this. Thanks for the LOLZ.

Top Kek

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

MagnumForce wrote:I am so glad Y@ pointed me to this. Thanks for the LOLZ.

Top Kek
Yeah this is the funniest thread of all time