Need help with Calumet Junction

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Need help with Calumet Junction

Unread post by Toppysager »

Alright so I'm compiling some information on busy Indiana rail hotspots like I did for Ohio last week. Unfortunately, I'm coming to a bit of a problem finding information on Calumet City. I know CSX Barr Sub goes through there but I'm not sure on traffic, other subdivisions, and trains per day. So if anyone could feed some info hat would be awesome. Also If anyone can suggest other locations outside of (Butler, St. Joe, Porter, Princeton, Goshen, South Bend, Milford Jct, Elkhart, and Terre Haute) that would be great!
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

DecaturNScale
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Need help with Calumet Junction

Unread post by DecaturNScale »

Ft. Wayne / New Haven
NE Tower
Cement plant off of Nelson Rd. its ok to sit

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Toppysager wrote:Alright so I'm compiling some information on busy Indiana rail hotspots like I did for Ohio last week. Unfortunately, I'm coming to a bit of a problem finding information on Calumet City. I know CSX Barr Sub goes through there but I'm not sure on traffic, other subdivisions, and trains per day. So if anyone could feed some info hat would be awesome. Also If anyone can suggest other locations outside of (Butler, St. Joe, Porter, Princeton, Goshen, South Bend, Milford Jct, Elkhart, and Terre Haute) that would be great!
Are you talking about Calumet Tower in East Chicago? Calumet City is where the magic happens for CSX and the IHB, however it is not much of the junction.

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Typhoon wrote:
Toppysager wrote:Alright so I'm compiling some information on busy Indiana rail hotspots like I did for Ohio last week. Unfortunately, I'm coming to a bit of a problem finding information on Calumet City. I know CSX Barr Sub goes through there but I'm not sure on traffic, other subdivisions, and trains per day. So if anyone could feed some info hat would be awesome. Also If anyone can suggest other locations outside of (Butler, St. Joe, Porter, Princeton, Goshen, South Bend, Milford Jct, Elkhart, and Terre Haute) that would be great!
Are you talking about Calumet Tower in East Chicago? Calumet City is where the magic happens for CSX and the IHB, however it is not much of the junction.
Yeah right by the old tower.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

The site Chicago Rail junctions has already done all the work for you. Google them. Why waste your time when it's already covered in depth elsewhere?

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO wrote:The site Chicago Rail junctions has already done all the work for you. Google them. Why waste your time when it's already covered in depth elsewhere?
Well I did look there, but it was a bit unclear about train counts. The more sources the better

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Toppysager wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:The site Chicago Rail junctions has already done all the work for you. Google them. Why waste your time when it's already covered in depth elsewhere?
Well I did look there, but it was a bit unclear about train counts. The more sources the better
Read through the descriptions and I found the average train counts. More to just making a "top sites" then train count. Surrounding neighborhood,'ease and legality of access, etc. The Chicago site is tough to beat...

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO wrote:
Toppysager wrote:
Read through the descriptions and I found the average train counts. More to just making a "top sites" then train count. Surrounding neighborhood,'ease and legality of access, etc. The Chicago site is tough to beat...
Well yes I realize that, but other stuff is harder to quantify. I'm a huge advocate for quality over quantity, after all Deshler, OH is my favorite spot to railfan in the Midwest (and its not even top 5 for traffic in Ohio. I just did constructed this list to compare traffic counts