Tarped Refrigerator Cars

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Tarped Refrigerator Cars

Unread post by PatAzo »

I saw few refrigerator cars in NS's yard near Hammond-Whiting. They had big blue tarps pulled over the tops covering the doors with the edges duct taped to the car. Were these possibly spoiled loads covered to keep the stink contained? They handed on of to GDLK this summer that had been stuck in Chicago long enough it ran out of fuel and spoiled.

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Tarped Refrigerator Cars

Unread post by NSSD60M »

PatAzo wrote:I saw few refrigerator cars in NS's yard near Hammond-Whiting. They had big blue tarps pulled over the tops covering the doors with the edges duct taped to the car. Were these possibly spoiled loads covered to keep the stink contained? They handed on of to GDLK this summer that had been stuck in Chicago long enough it ran out of fuel and spoiled.
Hence the "odd" taste of the bbq at the GDLK company picnic.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

It was a car load of potato. It sat a while waiting for NS to arrange to get it cleaned out.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This is one of the reasons rail customers go to intermodal or trucks. Getting carload and even intermodal thorough Chicago remains a big problem. BRING BACK THE LAKE MICHIGAN FERRIES :D
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

AARR wrote:This is one of the reasons rail customers go to intermodal or trucks. Getting carload and even intermodal thorough Chicago remains a big problem. BRING BACK THE LAKE MICHIGAN FERRIES :D
Actually, a lot of that falls on the customers. We have two loads of potatoes that show loaded to 159 tons in 143 ton cars. AFAIK, It's up to the customer to arrange a transload at their expense to reduce the car. If they drag their feet, the car sits. The coal and trash companies seem the worse at quickly arranging another car to transfer the load to. We have a load of coal that was set off for one defect, and when it was humped 6 months ago it was obviously overloaded. Car shop is still waiting for the mine to send a car to transload to.

Practice Safe CSX