Hesston Steam Museum

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Hesston Steam Museum

Unread post by MQT1223 »

How this operation flew under my radar I have no idea, but if anyone is familiar or a member of the Hesston Steam Museum what are the sure fire days that the Shay runs on? I want to go down to specifically see the Shay and it does me no good when its not running. I would like to coordinate a trip down to see the shay in action, as I have never seen a Shay up close, much less in action. I tried looking at the calendar and it does me no help unless someone knows what to look for on the calendar that says the Shay will be running, preferably a day that's not so busy like memorial day or their steam festival. If I have to go on a busy day I will but just trying to make things easier. Also are the Hesston guys willing to give cab rides? I have been trying to get one for the past few years now.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Hesston Steam Museum

Unread post by railohio »

Seems like the best resource would be to ask the group directly...
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

railohio wrote:Seems like the best resource would be to ask the group directly...
Well I thought I would start here in case anyone on the group was on here or had insider access or knows the schedule of the Hesston group.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

I took my kids 7 times over the last 3 years and we finally saw they shay and rode behind it during the steam and power show this past Labor Day weekend. It is definitely hit and miss, but they usually run it for the special event weekends.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Or you could use the interwebs and just check out their website. http://www.hesston.org/
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

trnwatcher wrote:Or you could use the interwebs and just check out their website. http://www.hesston.org/
I looked on the website. Even though it hasn't been updated for 2015, it just says "Steam Train Rides". It doesn't say what's running and what's not running.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

I'm sure the organization wants people to come visit, and if a steam engine will get you through the gate, they'll tell you when it runs.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

railohio wrote:I'm sure the organization wants people to come visit, and if a steam engine will get you through the gate, they'll tell you when it runs.
Well the thing is they always have a locomotive running, they are just not specific on what. Considering they operate three gauges...

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

They did tell me they don't operate the shay when it rains. Some of the grades there are fairly extreme and their shay is a wood burner. Steep grades + wet wood + lower temps for steam generation = a potential for a stalled train.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

BIG AMISH wrote:They did tell me they don't operate the shay when it rains. Some of the grades there are fairly extreme and their shay is a wood burner. Steep grades + wet wood + lower temps for steam generation = a potential for a stalled train.
Well that's good to know. Rain = No Shay. Makes sense being a wood burner.