Officials claim NS closed crossing without informing city

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Officials claim NS closed crossing without informing city

Unread post by railohio »

Warsaw officials claim Norfolk Southern closed railroad crossing without informing city

A railroad crossing in Warsaw closed for construction Wednesday and city officials say they were not given any advance notice of the closure.
Source: http://www.elkharttruth.com/news/2014/1 ... -city.html
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Officials claim NS closed crossing without informing cit

Unread post by Bulby »

I'm gong to be honest, my first thought is that it's been a really slow week for news in Elkhart County
Apparently I work on GEs now...

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Bulby wrote:I'm gong to be honest, my first thought is that it's been a really slow week for news in Elkhart County
What is a fast week like in Elkhart County? :lol:
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Unfortunately NS has been making headlines for the wrong reasons ... the blocked crossings in Dunlap were the beginning of the story. A couple of days ago stopped trains in Osceola became an issue. Now anything to do with NS is part of the problem.

I keep seeing articles about how nothing quick can be done to "fix" the problems ... but that is only true if one defines "quick" as tomorrow - not the end of the year.

The expansion of the Bellevue yard in Ohio is on schedule to be completed by the end of the year. Moving some work from Elkhart to Bellevue will help reduce the congestion in the Elkhart yard and lead to more passing trains instead of parked trains.

The expansion of the Dunlap Siding to Goshen will also be done by the end of the year ... it will provide another three miles of track and more flexibility in getting trains around each other.

NS is doing something.

But when they mess up and close a crossing without notice it is another black eye. Putting up signs days in advance at the crossing with explicit closed and open dates for the work should be done ... especially on a road that does not have an immediate alternative. There is a lot of backtracking when drivers figure out that their route is unexpectedly blocked.

Somehow in Goshen the word gets out ... all summer long there were announcements about what crossings would be closed and when for the replacement of track two and rework of every crossing in town on the main line. I didn't see that kind of notice for the Elkhart crossing closings for the same project - and Main St (by the Amtrak station) was blocked then open then blocked then open so much this summer that it was unreliable.

jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jwilliam33 »

If other communities have posted closures throughout the summer(obviously having been notified by NS, I wouldn't know why Warsaw would be any different. Could it be that perhaps the city dropped the ball and NS is a convenient scapegoat? I'm sure that could never ever be the case.... :lol:

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

jwilliam33 wrote:If other communities have posted closures throughout the summer(obviously having been notified by NS, I wouldn't know why Warsaw would be any different. Could it be that perhaps the city dropped the ball and NS is a convenient scapegoat? I'm sure that could never ever be the case.... :lol:
Why is it that the GERFS think the railroads can do know wrong? Are they somehow immune to the blunders all big business make?

Practice Safe CSX

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

CSX_CO wrote:Why is it that the GERFS think the railroads can do know wrong? Are they somehow immune to the blunders all big business make?

Practice Safe CSX
I hear you CSX_CO. I have no idea how many crossings NS has, I am sure the count is in thousands. Once in a while, the MOW guys and the "Department of Public Notices" get their signals crossed. It should not happen, but it does. Nothing wrong with wanting perfection.

Should you visit a board about airlines, trucking, pipelines, etc. you would find the same zealous bashing of the subject management. I believe most people on this board want the railroads to be successful and to look good in the public eye.

jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jwilliam33 »

Why is it that the GERFS think the railroads can do know wrong? Are they somehow immune to the blunders all big business make?

Practice Safe CSX[/quote]

I'm not saying that the RR isn't to blame but just as you all stated that the railroad might be at fault, city government certainly isn't the most responsible, responsive or efficient in communication either.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

NINE, VE ARE NAZI SOUTHERN, VU SHAL CLOSE SE CROSSING AND U VILL LIKE IT
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"