Waterloo Amtrak Shelter

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Waterloo Amtrak Shelter

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Official's have finally decided to improve the accommodations for passengers that use platform in Waterloo IN, They are relocating the former LS&MS Depot that use to stand to the west of where the Amshack is currently located they are also dealing with the parking situation as well. I have always been amazed at the crappy situation that Amtrak officials afforded to the passengers. PRIMITIVE ! lame parking, no shelter and trains that sometimes are HOURS late and this is one of the more patronized stations. It's as if Amtrack don't care if People use the train or not.. Anyhow 1.8 million dollars have been budgeted to improve the situation and is suppose to deal with parking and they are moving the former depot back to near it's former location and will be used by passenger's catching/departing the train in Waterloo.

http://www.fwarailfan.net/community/dow ... &mode=view

http://www.fwarailfan.net/community/vie ... f=2&t=1904

dinwitty
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Waterloo Amtrak Shelter

Unread post by dinwitty »

we used to hang out at the Waterloo station watching trains, have some films shot of that, plus NYC trains stopping there, run over to Buds and grab a Malt. With no Ft Wayne train service people have to scramble to Kendalville and Waterloo to nab trains. Far as I know the Ft Wayne station is still there unused, like South Bend Union Station, Amtrak has a small station formerly used by the South Shore on the west side.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

That's great news, the local sheriff told me this summer they were looking at doing that. Waterloo is my favorite railfanning spot. And the East Lansing train station project is up and moving-hopefully they will expand the hours the new station is open to accommodate bus and train passengers, closing at 330 pm or 5 just doesn't do it.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Any problems trainwatching at Waterloo? I stopped there briefly, twice on the way north from Florida to Michigan. No Problems. I plan a longer stay in the Waterloo/Butler area in a few days. Just wondered what the trainwatching situation is there. Perhaps an allnighter.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

hoborich wrote:Any problems trainwatching at Waterloo? I stopped there briefly, twice on the way north from Florida to Michigan. No Problems. I plan a longer stay in the Waterloo/Butler area in a few days. Just wondered what the trainwatching situation is there. Perhaps an allnighter.
The only problem you may run into is no parking.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Who is going to man it while it's open? Garrett was going to originally use the freight house (where the historical society is) too - until they got a big 3 ring binder with all the standards and work instructions for cleaning etc. from Amtrak....

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

MSchwiebert wrote:Who is going to man it while it's open? Garrett was going to originally use the freight house (where the historical society is) too - until they got a big 3 ring binder with all the standards and work instructions for cleaning etc. from Amtrak....
I can't imagine this is an insurmountable problem for a small community. Little Lapeer, MI (LPE) depot - former Grand Trunk - is used as a passenger shelter for AMTK 364-365 The Blue Water Michigan service, and is managed by the City of Lapeer. The waiting room and two restrooms are opened by an RF or timer lock on the doors an hour or two before train time, and they automatically lock a short while after the scheduled departure. The turn-of-the-century station building has been fully restored to its original condition, and is fully ADA. If Lapeer can do it successfully for one train a day each way I'm certain Waterloo can for two.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

There is a video at the link below as well - very cool how they will basically be moving the depot to its original siting before it was moved to its current location in the 80s. I'm glad to see this project still moving forward.

Waterloo to move, upgrade train station
By WANE Staff Reports
Published: January 29, 2015
http://wane.com/2015/01/29/waterloo-amt ... enovation/

WATERLOO, Ind. (WANE) Starting next year, people who board an Amtrak train at the Waterloo station will have more than a “bus stop” shelter to wait in before boarding. It’s part of a ten-year community effort to replace the existing shelter and return the historic Waterloo Depot to passenger use.

In 2010, Waterloo received a $1,820,100 grant from the US Department of Transportation. Changes to the project nearly caused the town to lose funding. However, the project is moving forward and expected to be complete early next year.

The money will be used to replace the existing bus stop shelter and renovate the Waterloo Depot, including providing wifi and a public information display so passengers can see detailed arrival and departure information. There will also be a new long-term, lit parking lot added.

The project will physically move the historic depot to the southeast corner to Center Street and Van Vleek Street, closer to the existing Amtrak boarding area. These changes should improve the waiting and parking area so passengers have a better experience and residents enjoy the benefits of a more attractive parking lot. Currently, the Amtrak stop at Waterloo consists of a set of enclosed metal and plexiglass shelters beside the boarding platform.

In 2005, Waterloo received funds to restore the historic depot, which is now being used as a community center. When the project is complete the part of the building will be open daily for train passengers and the other half of the building will continue to be available for community use.

“We just really hope that this is a good boost for our town. It’s great for the riders and we want it to be comfortable for Amtrak”s passengers. When they come here, we want it to be a good experience for the visitors and we really want it to be a nice station so we’re very excited that we get to do this for the community,” said Tena Woenker, Town Manager of Waterloo.

Waterloo has the third largest ridership of any Indiana station. The station has seen a 35% increase in Amtrak passengers since 2009. While only about 2,200 people live in Waterloo, the town sees around 25,000 passengers.

“We’ve always believed that if we can get this train station to function like it originally was back in the train days in the late 1800s, that’s it’s going to increase Amtrak’s ridership, it’s going to bring better customer service and more people will want to come to Waterloo and spend their money and ride trains,” said David Bolton, President of Waterloo Town Council.

Geoff Paddock with the Northeast Indiana Passenger Rail Association wants to see Amtrak service returned to Fort Wayne. The last time Amtrak was in the city was in 1990. Paddock doesn’t believe the changes in Waterloo will interfere with a proposal to bring Amtrak back to Fort Wayne.

“We (Northeast Indiana Passenger Rail Association) believe there is a market to serve both stations, and our proposal for a Chicago to Columbus stop in Fort Wayne does not interfere with the current line that serves Waterloo,” Paddok said in a statement. “We have always said that there is ridership and a strong market to serve both.”

In August, Fort Wayne Mayor Tom Henry and eight other mayors signed an agreement showing their support for a Chicago-Fort Wayne-Columbus passenger rail corridor.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

March 30, 2016

Historic Waterloo train depot moves to new location
ROSA SALTER RODRIGUEZ | The Journal Gazette

Lots of photos at the article source: http://www.journalgazette.net/news/loca ... w-location

Waterloo's historic train depot had a moving experience Wednesday -- it was picked up, placed on remote-controlled mechanical rollers and transported about 1,000 feet to a new address.

Town Manager Tena Woenker said the refurbished structure, which dates to 1884, was successfully moved by Wolfe House and Building Movers of North Manchester in a process accomplished over three days.

The 1,868-square-foot building, which had been at 215 W. Van Bleek St., now stands at 485 W. Van Bleek St., closer to a bus-type shelter where passengers wait to board Amtrak trains that stop in Waterloo on routes back and forth from Chicago to Washington, D.C., New York City and Boston.

Woenker said the building, now with free WiFi and electronic signage to provide train arrival information in real time, should make traveling more convenient for the more than 20,000 people who use the station annually.

The next step of the move will come next week, Woenker said. "It (the depot) will be held up above the foundation)for a week until April 8, when we expect to lower it back onto the foundation after utlities are connected," she said.

Then, workers will start constructing sidewalks and curbs and a larger paved parking lot -- plus street lighting and landscaping, Woenker said. Work is expected to be completed by June 24, when a dedication has been tentatively scheduled.

The dedication also will include the official opening of a new Town Hall and be part of statewide celebrations of Indiana's bicentennial.

Waterloo officials and residents have been working for several years on aspects of the project, which was awarded a $1.82 million grant from the federal Department of Transpotation.

Half of the depot will be museum-like and contain historical artifacts, and half will be in active use, including being staffed during overnight hours, Woenker said.

"This is going to be such an upgrade," she said. "The bus hut is still there, but people can wait in the building instead of in their cars or out in the weather. It will be so much more inviting to take the train."

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

The new location is definitely a better one.

Photo taken from the Amtrak platform.
Attachments
Waterloo April 2nd.jpg

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

This is good news. Now if you can get them to put the diamond and connecting track back in. :D

dinwitty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dinwitty »

they rebuilt the bay window, and gave it a greenish color, I recall it bay windowless and gray...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

It's been green for a while. I stopped by Waterloo a year ago on my way back from Florida.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

JohnnyO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JohnnyO »

It's my understanding that the depot had a bay window at one time but a derailment damaged the building and the bay window wasn't rebuilt.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The bay was there before the move.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Here is a familiar looking building in Bryan, OH.
Brian OH.jpg
And not far from the tracks in Waterloo, the other Waterloo station.
Waterloo Mini.jpg

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

justalurker66 wrote:The new location is definitely a better one.

Photo taken from the Amtrak platform.
Yeah but isn't it sitting in the overflow parking lot?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:The new location is definitely a better one.
Yeah but isn't it sitting in the overflow parking lot?
The new location is closer to the platform than the overflow lot. The unpaved overflow lot was torn up for the building move but will be rebuilt.

People will be able to park in the overflow and walk to the new building on their way to the platform.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

cbehr91 wrote:
hoborich wrote:Any problems trainwatching at Waterloo? I stopped there briefly, twice on the way north from Florida to Michigan. No Problems. I plan a longer stay in the Waterloo/Butler area in a few days. Just wondered what the trainwatching situation is there. Perhaps an allnighter.
The only problem you may run into is no parking.
That happened to me on Friday. I ended up parking parallel to the yellow tape. No one seemed to bother.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Was there yesterday, you can still park in part of the old lot. Looks like the construction will be finished prior to July 4th.