History of Southshore line on Bendix Drive and Elkhart.....

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
j_c1987
Railroadfan...fan

History of Southshore line on Bendix Drive and Elkhart.....

Unread post by j_c1987 »

The Southshore Line use to go beyond the airport on Bendix Drive long ago. I know the quarry used the line and seeing that the line splits off toward the quarry. You can see it on google maps the line then crosses bendix again and seems to end at Nimtz Parkway. I am curious of its history. It was long torn up before I came to the area anyways. Also I was wanting to get some photos of some action on the old branchline that comes off of the Elkhart-Kalamazoo line. I see that its still used as storage and there maybe a few businesses on it still. I always see the two Elkhart and Western Geeps pinned up. So long story short; does anyone know of the time tables when pick ups take place?

Thank You

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: History of Southshore line on Bendix Drive and Elkhart.

Unread post by justalurker66 »

The old South Shore line along Bendix once served the industrial park south of the airport and ran north to the new industrial park north of the airport. I don't recall traffic to anything in the north industrial park ... just a lead that was not connected to businesses. The north end was cut back and they used the line for loading autoracks north of where the new connection to the airport station was put in. After the new passenger connection to the airport was added the line north was pulled, along with the connection to the south industrial park leaving only the siding along Benham intact. The siding has been used for MOW equipment as well as the occasional train pass when leased trains were brought to town for ND games (too many trains in town for the platforms at the airport). There was a time when the west end of the freight yard still had enough overhead wire that an electric train could be stored there out of the way of other in service trains.

There are provisions for up to three 8 car trains to stop along Westmoor Ave by the old Bendix plant ... this stop was used for leased trains to transfer to coaches to ND games. It was also used during a crossing repair project a couple of years ago when passengers were bused from there to the airport.

It is before my time in the area, but the line down Westmoor and Bendix was once street running.

As for the Elkhart short line, I do not know the schedule or even if there is one. There does not seem to be a lot of activity on the line.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

The Elkhart & Western is what remains of the Twin Rivers(?) branch(?) of the NYC, I think. It used to extend all the way into downtown Mishawaka, to a coal fired power plant, which is long gone. I remember the line used to cross McKinley Ave, prior to Capital's extension being built south of McKinley, but the line into downtown Mishawaka was gone a long time before I spent time in the area (for what it's worth, I went to college in Mishawaka).

If you look for the Twin Branch RR on the internet you should be able to find at least a history of the line and some old photos of the equipment used and the major customers served. What's left of the line is kind of disappointing, compared to what used to be in place, but the old RoW is still (ok, was- I try not to visit the Mishawaka area these days) visible in many locations, but it's hard to find downtown, especially following the redevelopment that has happened since the industry along the river was torn down. All in all, it was a pretty interesting little operation.

If it doesn't come up in a Google search, try the indianarailroads.org Bull Session's History board for information. I seem to recall having come across some interesting information about the Michiana area there in the past. Also of interest in the area is the old NI&I line and the PRR branch line in South Bend...
~ Charles W.

j_c1987
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j_c1987 »

I see a line of open hoppers and tankers from time to time stored between Ash and Bittersweet RD. I see some few closed hopper from time to time as well at a mill of some sort. I am assuming I guess the times that freight is being moved around is during my work hours. How about the branch that cuts through lusher? I am just wanting to get some different shots than just from the mainline.

Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

One of the E&W customers is a cement plant, between Elkhart and Mishawaka. They recieve covered hoppers of powdered cement. Usually I see the E&W starting out in the early morning, and have seen the locomotives tying down between noon and 4pm. Not sure if this is normal, or if the days I saw were anomolies. At one time the railroad hauled frames for the Hummer plant, which were unloaded nearby and trucked in, from what I remember, but I know the plant closing dried up that business. Almost all, if not all, the sidings on the Eastern half or so of the existing line have been severed, except possibly a lumber yard just West of Cassopolis St., but there are still a good number of business that can, and, in some cases, do still recieve rail cars. I do beleive quite a bit of the far Western end is used for railcar storage.
I save lives. What do you do?

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

South shore: industrial line south of the airport was used until the mid-late 90's. North of airport was never used except for flats hauling hummers directly east of the runway. AM General had problems with service from conrail in the 90's. Conrail provided service off of Elkhart & Western on the remnants of the Twin Branch Railroad. The E&W was in such disrepair that service took way too long and Conrails fees were not competitive. AM General developed other sources for transporting the hummers. South shore loaded along bendix dr as described earlier. Grand Trunk loaded at Oliver Yard near Sample and Olive. Norfolk Southern loaded near the former NJI&I engine house off Olive St near Indiana Ave. Eventually the auto rack yard was built on the south edge of Elkhart Yard and all the other loading points were made unnecessary. Elkhart and Western has had tank cars spotted near the Hummet Plant for cleaning by a contractor over the past year. These are the first revenue loads in St. Joseph Co since AM General stopped shipping. That is somewhat remarkable as the Bittersweet Rd crossing was paved over for nearly 10 years from the late 90's to late 2000's.

j_c1987
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j_c1987 »

Thank you for the info. I guess I won't be able snap any shots of the E&W in action since I am at work.

j_c1987
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j_c1987 »

The tracks that led to the old southshore station seems to be used for storage. The current amtrak station that is. I was wondering when the southshore comes to drop off and pick up? I have a gut feeling its at night. I would like to get some photos somehow.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

j_c1987 wrote:The tracks that led to the old southshore station seems to be used for storage. The current amtrak station that is. I was wondering when the southshore comes to drop off and pick up? I have a gut feeling its at night. I would like to get some photos somehow.
It should be daytime ... especially this time of year where there is so much of it. It isn't the hottest spot on the railroad so it may be a while until they need to run down there with a train. The nearest customers are at Smilax Rd. Grandview is just a storage yard now.

j_c1987
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j_c1987 »

justalurker66 wrote:
j_c1987 wrote:The tracks that led to the old southshore station seems to be used for storage. The current amtrak station that is. I was wondering when the southshore comes to drop off and pick up? I have a gut feeling its at night. I would like to get some photos somehow.
It should be daytime ... especially this time of year where there is so much of it. It isn't the hottest spot on the railroad so it may be a while until they need to run down there with a train. The nearest customers are at Smilax Rd. Grandview is just a storage yard now.
Bummer! They probably roll in when I am at work.

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

No trains in South Bend for the next week or so:
CHESTERTON, Ind. The South Shore commuter rail line in northern Indiana will bus people between Michigan City and South Bend starting Monday until July 18 so crews can work on the overhead wires that power the trains.

South Shore officials say the buses will not stop at the Hudson Lake stop. They say train service between Michigan City and Chicago will not be affected except on July 15 and 17, when the busing will be extended for some midday trains between the Carroll Avenue and Dune Park stops.

South Shore officials say the work is needed because old rigid overhead wires are subject to failures that cause lengthy service disruptions. The new system will be identical to the one installed west of Michigan City several years ago.

Courtesy WNDU