Elkhart, Ind.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Elkhart, Ind.

Unread post by esprrfan »

Super Chief wrote:Thanks Jeff. Had never seen it before.7120's horn sounded like a wounded Canadian goose over main street. So this is a dedicated local when needed? Does Sauder get many of these?
Daily, Sauders when I worked the local averaged 6 or so bulkheads a day

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

CG Tower, your photos are excellent and make me miss the Elkhart area more than you know. The PRR signals on the Marion line and the Lake Shore Limited arriving under the freshly painted signal bridge are outstanding. Thanks for your documentation!!

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

MaintainerGary wrote:All the panels at 421, and elsewhere on Dearborn Division, were replaced due to a ten year plan. People were scratching their heads all summer wondering why we were replacing all these panels that are just going to be removed in the future. The panel program was put to a halt two weeks ago and is under review last I heard. Maybe they actually figured out that if you're running at 120% of capacity you shouldn't be doing things that would disrupt traffic...
The rest of the panels at 421 were replaced over the past few days.

It is hard to see due to the location (I'll have to find a place to park and walk to the tracks) but it appears two of the crossovers are now in place on Track 2 for CP 417. The Track 1 portion of the crossovers have not been placed.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Looking between the snowflakes ...
Image Track 2
Image Track 1
All four sets of panels have been placed on Track 2. Panels still need to be placed on Track 1 and the Dunlap Siding.

Happy Thanksgiving!

torgy1962
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by torgy1962 »

Nice paint on that signal bridge!
CG Tower wrote:We had a decent Sunday last Sunday in Elkhart, Goshen and on the Marion Branch. The amount of track work and such being done is really amazing to see. Here are a few photos:

The Lake Shore Limited stops at Elkhart.

Station Stop by CG Tower, MP 142.3, on Flickr

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tttodisp »

[quote="justalurker66"]Looking between the snowflakes ...
[url=http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-70027][img]http://railroadfan.com/gallery/albums/u ... rack_2.jpg[/img] Track 2[/url]
[url=http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-70028][img]http://railroadfan.com/gallery/albums/u ... rack_1.jpg[/img] Track 1[/url]
All four sets of panels have been placed on Track 2. Panels still need to be placed on Track 1 and the Dunlap Siding.

------------
Thanks for the photos. This will help me update the ATCS layout for Chicago Line when it gets cut over. I would appreciate postings or direct emails for specifics on all new or modified control points as they progress so that I can plan the layout work. Typically, NS numbers the switches from left to right, but if anyone can spot the switch numbers on the machines themselves (I don't know about NS, but other road mark them on the top), that would be a big help.

Scott Given
ATCS territory manager - NS Chicago Line

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:Thanks for the photos. This will help me update the ATCS layout for Chicago Line when it gets cut over. I would appreciate postings or direct emails for specifics on all new or modified control points as they progress so that I can plan the layout work. Typically, NS numbers the switches from left to right, but if anyone can spot the switch numbers on the machines themselves (I don't know about NS, but other road mark them on the top), that would be a big help.

Scott Given
ATCS territory manager - NS Chicago Line
The line has trees on both sides ... so seeing which switches get installed where may be difficult. Once the MCPs are transmitted we may have to simply watch trains (preferably on site) to figure out which switches are where. As a user of ATCS I should be able to help. The changes to CP 412 should be easier to integrate (one new switch, one new signal and hopefully not a lot more).

I have a couple of corrections for the Marion Branch (CP 3) as well. Nothing major, just how 3WA and 4WA at CP 412 relate to reality. Probably better to send in private message.

I spent some time between Goshen and Warsaw this weekend on the Marion line ... I put 300 miles on the car going back and forth between cities 25 miles apart. I saw a few trains as well. :)

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

CP 412 in Goshen
The new bridge remains under reconstruction.

The remaining new switches at CP 417 have been assembled and are on the north side of the tracks awaiting installation. So far the four switches on track 2 are installed (as previously reported) ... the four remaining switches will go on track 1 and the siding (two each track) to connect to the track 2 switches.

Not a lot going on above ground on the signaling. No new signal bases noted ... no new signal supports delivered ... no changes to the signals seen at MP 415 or future CP 417. It looks like all the work is underground and on signal cabinets. Erosion walls have been built around the base of the new signal south of County Rd 17 ... but still no signal equipment there (with the proximity of overhead power wires that may be a difficult location).

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the photo. I see one new switch from the siding to M2. That would give them a full set of crossovers for all tracks.

Scott

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:Thanks for the photo. I see one new switch from the siding to M2. That would give them a full set of crossovers for all tracks.
Correct ... with the straight track connecting directly to the Marion Branch (currently ends at a derail for construction).
CP 417 will be a full crossover as well. CP 415 will be a memory.

In other news ... Main St and Prarie St in Elkhart reopened on Friday ... which means no detour when following the tracks through town. Prairie St will close again in the spring for the overpass construction (Prairie over NS).

And be aware ... the street in front of the Amtrak station will become a two way street on Monday, December 22nd. Which will make it possible to leave the Amtrak station and head east along the line without going north and around the block. The change should provide better access to the station from Main St.

torgy1962
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by torgy1962 »

justalurker66 wrote: And be aware ... the street in front of the Amtrak station will become a two way street on Monday, December 22nd. Which will make it possible to leave the Amtrak station and head east along the line without going north and around the block. The change should provide better access to the station from Main St.
I drove east from Amtrak last September - I just couldn't wait! Fortunately, it was a Sunday morning. I couldn't figure out why two westbound cyclists were yelling at me... :o

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Are we expecting any changes at CP 421?

Scott

"Correct ... with the straight track connecting directly to the Marion Branch (currently ends at a derail for construction).
CP 417 will be a full crossover as well. CP 415 will be a memory."

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

I thought at the beginning of this thread that CP 421 would be removed and CP 417 would become the new crossovers.

GTW

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

NS replaced all of the crossovers at CP 421 this year ... no removals. Perhaps a mistake if they will be pulled out after CP 417 is activated. Perhaps a change in plans.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Anyone know why the work between Elkhart and Goshen has slowed down.

Thanks,

GTW

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

GTW wrote:Anyone know why the work between Elkhart and Goshen has slowed down.
Winter? Hard to work on groundwork when the ground is frozen...

...just an educated guess
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Winter has not been a huge problem yet ... and it is more likely to be a problem in the upcoming weeks and months than it has been in the past few weeks. I do not fault NS for not ruining the holidays of their work crews ... but I hope than in the next couple of weeks we see changes that are more obvious. Completion of the bridge in Goshen - Installation of the remaining switches at future CP 417 and CP 412 - Balasting of the siding extension between CP 415 and CP 412 - Completion of the new signals partially installed.

There has been progress over the past six weeks ... but most of it isn't noticeable unless one takes the time to look closely.

Much of the work has been "underground" ... buried work is harder to see than new track switches and signals.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Thank you for the information

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The weather has turned ... it is going to be cold for a while. :(

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Some progress ... still mostly underground. The crews started stacking the base for the new westbound signal at CP 417 (near CR 13).