Industry near Stillwell/Kingsbury?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Industry near Stillwell/Kingsbury?

Unread post by bctrainfan »

While looking for something else on Google maps, I came across a large group of buildings with rail service and multiple tracks soutwest of Stillwell, IN and east of Kingsbury. Not sure what it is, maybe something agricultural, can someone advise?

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Re: Industry near Stillwell/Kingsbury?

Unread post by cnw8835 »

That is the former Kingsbury Army Ordinance Plant. It is now being redeveloped into an industrial park...
http://www.gledc.com/industrial-sites/k ... -park.html

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

bctrainfan wrote:While looking for something else on Google maps, I came across a large group of buildings with rail service and multiple tracks soutwest of Stillwell, IN and east of Kingsbury. Not sure what it is, maybe something agricultural, can someone advise?
I did the same thing quite a few years ago and then found myself driving there to investigate a few days later. Quite an array of old trackage and buildings there, definitely not used in decades. It's a great place to explore if you like poking around old railroad infrastructure.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

The industrial park portion on the north side of the grounds is served by the South Shore. A portion of the property on the south side of the grounds is destined to be the site of the CSX "green express" cold storage/transload facility, when/if that ever gets off the ground (this link is the most recent thing I've seen on it http://www.farmers-exchange.net/detailP ... leID=10886 ).

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Thanks, all, for the info! :D

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

From South Bend Tribune:
The long talked about intermodal facility at Kingsbury could be ready to take off now that the site has landed its first company. Helena Chemical Co., a distributor of fertilizer and other farm products, has purchased land at the 800 acre site at Kingsbury Industrial Park. ...Helena Chemical Company will pay to extend another rail spur to it's site from an existing Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad line a half mile away.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

BIG AMISH wrote:From South Bend Tribune:
The long talked about intermodal facility at Kingsbury could be ready to take off now that the site has landed its first company. Helena Chemical Co., a distributor of fertilizer and other farm products, has purchased land at the 800 acre site at Kingsbury Industrial Park. ...Helena Chemical Company will pay to extend another rail spur to it's site from an existing Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad line a half mile away.
This is a little disappointing because I was hoping the Helena terminal would locate in MI. One small Helena dealer in Croswell gets rail service but all other MI locations that I know of receive their product by truck.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

If I remember correctly CSX paid to rebuild the switch into the logistics park. Helena sounds like they intend to use South Shore for their shipments or at least have access to pressure the rates. If Helena is the only player CSX stands to be a looser on this deal.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

BIG AMISH wrote:If I remember correctly CSX paid to rebuild the switch into the logistics park. Helena sounds like they intend to use South Shore for their shipments or at least have access to pressure the rates. If Helena is the only player CSX stands to be a looser on this deal.
No, Helena isn't the only player. Sounds like they're utilizing some of the existing track in the former plant area. CSX is building for the new Cold Storage business that is supposedly coming. Be running produce from the Florida region up there for distribution.

Practice Safe CSX

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

"Inland Logistics Port had a rail spur last year extended to the site from an existing CSX rail line to service the property, and in 2012 the ground was given a prestigious CSX Select Site certification due to it being in a position to alleviate freight train congestion in the Chicago area.

Reardon said Helena Chemical Co. at its own expense will extend another rail spur to where it's going to build from an existing Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad line a half mile away.

The new line will at some point be connected to the rail spur extended last year into Inland Logistics Port from the CSX line."
http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/ ... 92e15.html

It is interesting to see Helena pay for a connection to CSS. Perhaps it is just closer and cheaper than the CSX spur.
Perhaps the GTW connection to the north is better than CSX to bring cars to the plant?

As far as the bilboard tenant announced when Halfwassen Group got the CSX spur:
"The decision by the company to expand comes while local officials continue to try and wrap up a deal for Green Express to build a cold storage warehouse at Kingsbury to transport fresh produce in refrigerated freight cars to and from Florida for distribution throughout the Midwest and in other countries."

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

justalurker66 wrote: It is interesting to see Helena pay for a connection to CSS. Perhaps it is just closer and cheaper than the CSX spur.
Perhaps the GTW connection to the north is better than CSX to bring cars to the plant?
AFAIK, the CN doesn't serve the former ordinance plant. Only service is provided by the CSS&SB using the IMC from Michigan City, to Dillon where they use the old Wabash to gain access to the facility. Once upon a time, Wabash, B&O, NKP, and GTW all served the plant. Currently, only the Wabash is the direct link, with CSX's obviously constructing their own connection back into the facility, using, at least part of, the long abandoned B&O spur into the plant.

Practice Safe CSX

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO wrote:AFAIK, the CN doesn't serve the former ordinance plant. Only service is provided by the CSS&SB using the IMC from Michigan City, to Dillon where they use the old Wabash to gain access to the facility. Once upon a time, Wabash, B&O, NKP, and GTW all served the plant. Currently, only the Wabash is the direct link, with CSX's obviously constructing their own connection back into the facility, using, at least part of, the long abandoned B&O spur into the plant.
I understand. CSS's Nickle Plate only has two connections ... one at Stillwell which is closest to Kingsbury and one at Michigan City which is to NICTD.

NICTD's connections are limited ... no connections east of Michigan City (all former connections have been removed). There are connections on the west side of Michigan City (NIPSCO plant and Amtrak owned line), ArcelorMittal, CSX at Miller, EJ&E at Gary (Goff), then nothing until State Line Yard in Illinois.

Through where will Helina exchange their traffic? I mentioned GTW (CN) because it is close to Kingsbury ... otherwise it is a long way to the next connection. Taking cars through Michigan City and Miller/Gary/Chicago would work if that is where the cars are coming from/going to.

I have not seen an number of cars estimate for Helina. Have I missed it or is there not one available?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

justalurker66 wrote: Through where will Helina exchange their traffic? I mentioned GTW (CN) because it is close to Kingsbury ... otherwise it is a long way to the next connection. Taking cars through Michigan City and Miller/Gary/Chicago would work if that is where the cars are coming from/going to.
A lot more goes into it than just the distance required for the car to travel. Yeah, it might be more direct for the car to be set off by the CN at Stilwell but that may get another carrier involved, who wants another piece of the revenue pie. Just because a CN connection is 'closer' doesn't mean it is the connection that is used. A lot of 'funny' routings for cars that the customer can come up with, especially when trying to save a buck. So, unless the car is originating on the CN someplace, it would probably have to go to Chicago to get to the CSS&SB anyway.

Practice Safe CSX

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO wrote:t might be more direct for the car to be set off by the CN at Stilwell but that may get another carrier involved, who wants another piece of the revenue pie.

For some reason they want to get CSS involved ... so it appears to be more cost effective to pay for a half mile of track and pay CSS than pay CSX to extend their connection (and pay CSX to spot cars at Kingsbury).

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

justalurker66 wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:t might be more direct for the car to be set off by the CN at Stilwell but that may get another carrier involved, who wants another piece of the revenue pie.

For some reason they want to get CSS involved ... so it appears to be more cost effective to pay for a half mile of track and pay CSS than pay CSX to extend their connection (and pay CSX to spot cars at Kingsbury).

Right. Afaik the connection into the place may not be open yet. Plus, may not be worth the hassle to Csx if the car count isn't there. Any cars would have to be worked by a Garrett based local almost 90 miles away. Certainly not going to want a road train stopping to work there. CSS already accesses the plant and has all the connections in Chicago too. Csx wants that easy unit train into the cold storage facility. Drop everything off and come back when they've unloaded it. That loose car stuff is only profitable under certain circumstances. Having a 12 hr local have to run 90 miles out there makes it tough to be profitable.

Practice Safe csx

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

GTW dropped off an article today about this project. The developer and Green Express have been arguing for 8 months about whose going to pay for what where and when. Laporte County comissioners want to give them 30 days tops and start looking at alternatives. They've got 6 million dollars invested in the rail that went in to the plant. Looks like CSX is going to have to wait for this business as the Port of Tampa was hoping to get the Green Express running by now. Suppose to run Tampa to Kingsbury to NJ area and back down to Tampa. Would have taken 9 sets of cars to keep it fluid. This project has been in limbo far too long to have much faith in the current management to see it through.