Michigan City Derailment?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Michigan City Derailment?

Unread post by NSSD60M »

A passenger that just boarded my train inquired about a derailment in Michigan City that has train traffic halted. I'm assuming it's South Shore. However, I do not have time to investigate more. Anyone hear more details? Once on the Chicago end, I'll be looking for more details. Nothing has been mentioned affecting the NS Chicago Line on our end.

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Re: Michigan City Derailment?

Unread post by cnw8835 »

I haven't seen any details, but Metra has a service advisory out today that they are honoring South Shore tickets due to a derailment on the South Shore at Michigan City.

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

Well if it isnt all over news outlets, I suppose that means thankfully there aren't injuries or widespread damage. From what I've found, sounds like a South Shore Freight yard job dumped a cut of cars right at the shops and fouling the mainline for passenger service. I guess that's a good gesture for Metra to honor NICTD tickets for the day, but sort of futile if you're not convienent to Metra lines.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

NSSD60M wrote:I guess that's a good gesture for Metra to honor NICTD tickets for the day, but sort of futile if you're not convienent to Metra lines.
Driving to Homewood still beats driving downtown.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

So did they suspend everything or just MC-SB?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Everything was stopped up ... a couple of trains had made it west and NICTD planned to use them to run some "unscheduled" services from East Chicago. Here are some of the updates from their website:

All South Shore trains scheduled to arrive in Chicago after 6:40 a.m. have been temporarily suspended due to a derailment in Michigan City. There are no injuries but service is affected. We expect this disruption to affect the balance of the morning rush hour. Metra Electric will honor South Shore tickets. We will update this message when new information is available.
Updated at: 01/28/2013 05:23 AM

All South Shore trains scheduled to arrive in Chicago after 6:40 a.m. remains temporarily suspended due to a derailment in Michigan City. There are no injuries but service is affected. We expect this disruption to affect the balance of the morning rush hour. Metra Electric will honor South Shore tickets.
We are working on a plan to provide limited unscheduled service between East Chicago and Chicago using 2 trains unaffected by the derailment. Expect limited seating and crowded conditions.
We will update this message when new information is available.
Updated at: 01/28/2013 06:47 AM

We expect regular westbound service to resume with Train 14 scheduled to arrive in Chicago at 10:28 a.m. with an expected delay of approximately 15-20 minutes. We expect eastbound Train 7 scheduled to depart Chicago at 8:45 a.m. to be approximately 30 minutes late.
Earlier this morning a derailment in Michigan City forced the cancellation of 6 South Shore rush hour trains scheduled to arrive in Chicago between 7:21 a.m. and 8:52 a.m. There were no injuries. Metra Electric will honor South Shore ticketed passengers who rode Metra Electric this morning.
NICTD apologizes for the inconvenience caused by this morning's service disruption.
Updated at: 01/28/2013 08:50 AM

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

NSSD60M wrote:A passenger that just boarded my train inquired about a derailment in Michigan City that has train traffic halted. I'm assuming it's South Shore. However, I do not have time to investigate more. Anyone hear more details? Once on the Chicago end, I'll be looking for more details. Nothing has been mentioned affecting the NS Chicago Line on our end.
Get back to work. :)
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

From South Bend Tribune:
The rear car derailed on the second train out of Carroll Avenue in Michigan City - the No. 104 scheduled to leave at 4:55 a.m. and arrive in Chicago at the Millennium station at 6:38 a.m., according to NICTD spokesman John Parsons. The car that derailed was the last car on an 8-car train that was just moving into position to board passengers. The front wheels of that car left the track.