Milford Jct. among finalists for large Ag facility

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Milford Jct. among finalists for large Ag facility

Unread post by NSSD60M »

Typhoon wrote:

The mentality is more like, if it impacts me in the least, screw everyone else it might benefit in the area.

Probably the reason why there's such widespread resentment throughout the community toward the project, eh? Diminished property values, foul odors, increased tractor trailer traffic on local roads, etc. Just the minimal of impacts there, nothing more...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

NSSD60M wrote: Probably the reason why there's such widespread resentment throughout the community toward the project, eh? Diminished property values, foul odors, increased tractor trailer traffic on local roads, etc. Just the minimal of impacts there, nothing more...
Everyone loves bacon, but no one wants the Hog Farm in their backyard to make it...

Practice Safe CSX

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

NSSD60M wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

The mentality is more like, if it impacts me in the least, screw everyone else it might benefit in the area.

Probably the reason why there's such widespread resentment throughout the community toward the project, eh? Diminished property values, foul odors, increased tractor trailer traffic on local roads, etc. Just the minimal of impacts there, nothing more...
So screw it. Lets never build anything ever again in this country, as we might upset a few people....

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by berkmeister »

To my knowledge, there has been NO major opposition to this fertilizer/grain facility compared to the protesting of the ethanol plant several years ago. Not there isn't people complaining about this i'm sure. I read a couple women who live on C.R. 100 East concerned about property values, that's all i've heard. The Tru Pointe Co-Op website has very interesting info about their plans for the Milford facility. This tranquil countryside is gonna become a bustling ag plant with lots of trucks and freight cars movin' in and out. I call it progress folks. :) Berk

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

I noticed last Friday there were two large earth-movers and one big bulldozer parked in the field along County Line Road, which is along the north side of the facility property. Looks like construction will be beginning soon with spring coming up. Berkmeister

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

All the cones, signs and barriers put up by the Kosciusko Co. Hwy. Dept. awhile back have been removed, new steel gates have been installed onto the yellow-painted steel posts that were put in back in Dec. Now the Old State Road 15 and C.R. 1350 North are permanently closed, bordered by County Line Road/ Old St. Rd. 15 on the north side, Old 15/North St. on the south side just south of the CSX grade crossing on Old 15 and on the east side of C.R. 1350 North at the C.R. 100 East intersection. There are more earth-movers, bulldozers and large tractors excavating the old cornfields on the east and north areas of the facilty property. There is several MOW track machines on the CSX ballast hopper car spur at the Junction. Perhaps there for a building of CSX's spur into the plant? We'll see. Berkmeister

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

CSX track equipment is for the CAT surfacing team that will start working in the area very soon.

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

All spring and summer, i've watched the construction of the fertiizer/grain facility. For the first time on Monday, Sept.30, i noticed new spur track laid down parallel to the CSX main east/west. There's two gondolas, each with two switch track assemblies in them, parked on the ballast unloading spur near Milford Junction. The track grading is going west to around the NE corner of the junction, then along the NS line, then curving east towards the faclity. Much of this west end's grading is done, much more to do further east. C.R. 100 East has markers to signify the wider ROW for the improvement of said road for the increased truck traffic coming in the near future. There's also a "ballast driveway" leading away in towards the new spur track and facility from CSX westbound main. I saw this from atop the S.R. 15 overpass just west of the junction. Several buildings going up, storage tanks going in as well. Quite a busy scenario from just last winter! Berkmeister

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

I caught a glimpse of the new connection from SR 15 earlier today. It is nice to see new rail going in.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

A couple of years have passed ... the plant is up and running with expansion in progress for a new grain facility (in cooperation with Cargill).

The new name is TruHorizons:
http://www.truhorizons.com/locations/milford.html
(Additional facilities in Lapaz and Bremen on the CSX line.)

The NS connection is easy to see from SR 15, two turnouts from the NS line to join or depart the loop track either north bound or southbound with a very easy to see mailbox on the inside of the loop (I assume for paperwork). The CSX connection is harder to see but it appears to be the same setup ... turnouts on one track so trains can enter or leave the loop from either direction. All four of the facility's turnouts are outside CP Milford Jct.

So ... how many trains serve the facility and how often? Does anything on NS serve the facility?

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

The main traffic, grain loading, is yet to be seen. But both csx and ns have delivered quite a bit to the fertilizer part of operation as its been opened and finished,grain bins just went in this fall.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

I wonder if the grain bins are Brock Bins that are made just to the south in Milford ?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Notch 8 wrote:I wonder if the grain bins are Brock Bins that are made just to the south in Milford ?
Yes. It took a zoom lens to make out the logo, but there is a relatively small Brock logo on the bins.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

maps.google.com has updated their images to show the new layout at Milford Jct.
MilfordJct.png
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Milfo ... 63aa4c7e24

(Other Northern Indiana photos have been updated ... time for some snowbound aerial railfanning.)

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

Facility is opening for grain shipments by rail tomorrow.

$30 million grain elevator to open Thursday near Milford
http://www.wndu.com/content/news/30-mil ... 50741.html