INER this week

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

INER this week

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Caught the INER this week and took the opportunity to catch a couple photo's while the leaves were still hanging on,

http://www.fwarailfan.net/community/vie ... f=7&t=2534

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: INER this week

Unread post by AARR »

Excellent pictures and detailed reporting. Especially like the Coldwater picture and you listing where all the spurs go :!:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by berkmeister »

Looks like the former Wabash 4th District track is as good in shape as the newly laid track in Angola!!!! Tell me, are the rails on the Wabash newly laid or is that old rail from the Wabash/N&W era? And what poundage is that Wabash rail? Thanks, berkmeister. :D

Marylee
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Marylee »

Notch8,
Reading the above "picture article" stating a new shop in Hudson, IN, does this suggest a closing of the shops in Hillsdale, MI?

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

I added more to the thread that I started 2 weeks ago, more story more photo's
Marylee wrote:Notch8,
Reading the above "picture article" stating a new shop in Hudson, IN, does this suggest a closing of the shops in Hillsdale, MI?

http://www.fwarailfan.net/community/vie ... f=7&t=2534

THe "Shop" in Hillsdale is nothing more than a "Garage" and bear basics ! They are building a shop that is modern with the necassary equipment to really work on keeping the power maintained such as trueing wheels, and c/o of wheel sets and trucks and traction motors... Me thinks they should get into contact services for other roads that need work done, Can you say paint booth ! except dealing with the retards called EPA... Save the Earth ! from what Humans ?

They do have the Operations side of the Rail Road based at 50 Monroe Street, Awesome former NYC office. neat place to visit, would have been the place to have been in the 20's-30's and as far as I know that office is staying in MI,
berkmeister wrote:Looks like the former Wabash 4th District track is as good in shape as the newly laid track in Angola!!!! Tell me, are the rails on the Wabash newly laid or is that old rail from the Wabash/N&W era? And what poundage is that Wabash rail? Thanks, berkmeister. :D

The rails on the Wabash I think is like from the 20's and I think was down graded to seconday status in the 50's and the line going dark in the early to mid 70's and then severed in the late 80-s early 90's
Last edited by Notch 8 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

It is my understanding that the locomotive facility in Hillsdale will not be going anywhere any time soon. It will just be a matter of repairs and inspections going on in Hudson, IN once the new place is built. I would assume the the IN would still like to have a place to park their engines when they are in Hillsdale. They also keep their Hi-rail trucks and such in there, as well. Their guys all report to work in Hillsdale.
Also, Notch 8, I think they will be putting in a 20 ton crane. Not a 200 ton crane. I doubt that any of their engines weigh more than 130 tons.
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Remember Hudson is at the end of a branch would not make sense to move all operations there. Don't forget there is a shed in Montpelier too.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

MagnumForce wrote:Remember Hudson is at the end of a branch would not make sense to move all operations there. Don't forget there is a shed in Montpelier too.
I would like to start that the operations of the INER is not being located to Hudson, Just a new shop for the locomotives. This will be so they can make their running repairs of loco's that are in service and storage for unused equipment. The shop in Hillsdale would be difficult to use at best, lack of room for the most part. The shed in Montpelier is just a shed to park a locomotive out of the weather.
As far as a location I think the only better place to have put it would of been Ashley but since the 2 towns are right next to each other we are only splitting hairs, Hudson is not really on the end of a branch, Hudson is only like 3 miles to the west from where the line splits to go up into Michigan. There are 4 customers and there is also something else in the making at Ashley IN that might bring more traffic to the INER.
So Hudson is a good place for the new shop to be built ! A side note, 100 years ago the divison point for the RR was in Ashley IN complete with a roundhouse and shops...
The operations office is remaining in Hillsdale, I think this is where most of the INER employees work out of and is the former offices of the NYC, beautiful old build that reminds you of an era that has has passed. Hillsdale would have been the place to have visited back in the day and would have seen much traffic,

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

^And then it all the trains went to Ohio and Indiana with the completion of the Airline. Growing up in Pittsford I wish I could have seen it.

I had South Milford on the brain and was thinking there instead of Hudson. South Milford is at the end of the branch and also home to the "Corporate" Offices of the INER.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

One of your captions on the FWA thread mentions the CP train will head north to Port Huron, Michigan. This is not true, the CP trains only go to Detroit. IIRC, CP actually owns the tunnel underneath the Detroit River, and their trackage resumes in Windsor. It would make no sense for CP to run trains up the CN from Detroit to Port Huron, then through CN's tunnel in Port Huron and across the CN from Sarnia to ???? to re-enter the CP network. Just sayin'.
~ Charles W.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Notch 8 wrote:As far as a location I think the only better place to have put it would of been Ashley
....I was thinkin' that someone would have thought that a better location would have been to the west at the C.R. 725 W crossing :lol: :lol:

I'm also thinking that this shop will be where the 'heavy' repairs will take place while Hillsdale will still do some minor repairs as it seems that the road train ends up in Hillsdale with it being the ops HQ....

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

MKT_fan11 wrote:One of your captions on the FWA thread mentions the CP train will head north to Port Huron, Michigan. This is not true, the CP trains only go to Detroit. IIRC, CP actually owns the tunnel underneath the Detroit River, and their trackage resumes in Windsor. It would make no sense for CP to run trains up the CN from Detroit to Port Huron, then through CN's tunnel in Port Huron and across the CN from Sarnia to ???? to re-enter the CP network. Just sayin'.
And what did that have to do with this thread ? It was a Red Engine Eh with a tea kettle and a microwave Ehh ?? As I see it there is no reason to go north of Flatrock or south of Port Huron MI

11/9 INER ran s/b through Angola short train, Grain cars are piling up.. I kinda think someone wishes they would have left the Hamilton and Helmer sidings intact ! The surfacing work appears to be complete in Angola, and they are stuffing ties to the south of Angola, the drainage work that was done several years ago south of Angola has look like it has worked well, the tracks stay out of the mud now !
Just aheads up they should be seeing another stamping press via rail on the INER, here is a link to some of the photos that I snapped of the last one to make the trip ! http://www.fwarailfan.net/community/vie ... rea#p11008

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

Notch 8, thanks for what you told me about the age of the Wabash rail on the INER. But you didn't mention the pounds per yard of this rail. Can you find out or find someone that knows? Thanks, berkmeister.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

110# Rail replaced in 1925 on the Wabash 4th District and the Old Road in MI is110# rail and it is dated 1928

Mike

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Notch 8 wrote:110# Rail replaced in 1925 on the Wabash 4th District and the Old Road in MI is110# rail and it is dated 1928

Mike
Wow, that seems like fairly heavy rail for the 1920's. That both lines were built to heavy standards because they were major lines in their day and now they are branch lines. Altghough, the heavier rail must be nice with the coal (off and on) and grain that rides on them.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

berkmeister
Railroadfan...fan

:!: Really!!!! This rail was considered heavy duty rail when the larger steamers came into play (2-8-2 Mikados and larger) in the early to mid 1920's. The Wabash and NYC knew the rail had to be more sturdy and strong to hold up the heavier steam engines coming on line. Not to mention these engines with tenders were much heavier than most freight cars of the period, regardless of their lading. Turn the clock forward to the present. Unless there is metal fatigue or simply severe worn down rail from all those seasons and rail traffic, i would say 110 # rail is more than strong enough to hold up today's weighty covered hoppers, tank cars, coal gons or hoppers that traverse these rails today! I believe the rail on the INER's former Ft. Wayne and Jackson via Angola was 80 # to 90 # rail. It was old, yes, but it definitely needed replacement when the railroad had the money to buy heavier rail to accomadate the much heavier cars of today. Berk

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

I'd say it was built to very good standards back in the day too. I enjoy this thread here and on the FW board. Neat line to railfan or just sit back and enjoy an occasional train. :D

PW

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

I added more to the thread again.. INER,MSO,MAW & NS I was going to load photo of KTR but nobody wanted to see it....

Go to end of thread,

http://www.fwarailfan.net/community/vie ... 977#p13977

Mike

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Notch 8 wrote:I was going to load photo of KTR but nobody wanted to see it....
If its a short line I will see it

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

What date and time did you catch the MSO?
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"