About CFE to Decatur.....

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

About CFE to Decatur.....

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

What is the average number of cars that CFE takes down to Decatur from Fort Wayne on a daily basis? Just an average. Also, do they go to Decatur 7 days a week? TIA PW

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Re: About CFE to Decatur.....

Unread post by conrailman75 »

While I can't comment on the car counts, I can say that they normally run five days a week, Mon-Fri, with weekend service run on an as needed basis.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

sharpie77
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by sharpie77 »

The trains I have seen would probably average about 75 cars. There are some interesting power combinations to be seen also.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

sharpie77 wrote:The trains I have seen would probably average about 75 cars. There are some interesting power combinations to be seen also.
75 cars DAILY (5 days a week) to Decatur? I don't think so...
Bottom text.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

A guy who used to work for CFE said it probably averaged anywhere from 50-75 cars a day. The only thing he didn't specify was if that was going to and from Decatur to Fort Wayne or 1 way. I'm sure there are days the 75 cars would be correct 1 way, but sometimes that big Bunge terminal can be low on cars in the main yard. There are so many tracks back in the facility it's hard to judge how many cars are back there. It's a BIG facility. If you get a chance check it out if you haven't. :)

PW

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

bnsf8000 wrote:A guy who used to work for CFE said it probably averaged anywhere from 50-75 cars a day. The only thing he didn't specify was if that was going to and from Decatur to Fort Wayne or 1 way. I'm sure there are days the 75 cars would be correct 1 way, but sometimes that big Bunge terminal can be low on cars in the main yard. There are so many tracks back in the facility it's hard to judge how many cars are back there. It's a BIG facility. If you get a chance check it out if you haven't. :)

PW
75 cars total both ways makes a lot more sense than 75 cars one way. Yes, they can get that many at a time but it seems to be few and far between. Bunge is very impressive!
Bottom text.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

75 inbounds 5 days a week would almost be half of the CFE's annual business.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Midland now that you brought that up, I wonder what the Decatur Bunge facility percentage of total carloads in bound would be? It probably is a very good percentage of it. Plus, what % inbound/outbound would it be? That facility definitely is a moneymaker for CFE/RA. The bean oil loads/emptys in/out pale in comparison to the grain cars of course.

PW