Conrail Petersburg Secondary

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
CSXIndyLine
Railroadfan...fan

Conrail Petersburg Secondary

Unread post by CSXIndyLine »

Does anybody have pictures or information they could share on this post. I have not come up with anything on my searches.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Re: Conrail Petersburg Secondary

Unread post by cbehr91 »

That was a PRR branch that diverged from the I&F Branch at Kraft Tower in Indianapolis and ran to Vincennes. The Pennsy called it the Vincennes Secondary, while Penn Central and Conrail called it the Petersburg Secondary.

According to a thread on the Conrail Historical Society's message board, a piece of it was abandoned by Penn Central between 1970 and 1976, with the remaining portions abandoned by Conrail in 1984.

CSXIndyLine
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXIndyLine »

cbehr91 wrote:That was a PRR branch that diverged from the I&F Branch at Kraft Tower in Indianapolis and ran to Vincennes. The Pennsy called it the Vincennes Secondary, while Penn Central and Conrail called it the Petersburg Secondary.

According to a thread on the Conrail Historical Society's message board, a piece of it was abandoned by Penn Central between 1970 and 1976, with the remaining portions abandoned by Conrail in 1984.
Oh so it didn't last as long as I thought it did.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

cbehr91 wrote:That was a PRR branch that diverged from the I&F Branch at Kraft Tower in Indianapolis and ran to Vincennes. The Pennsy called it the Vincennes Secondary, while Penn Central and Conrail called it the Petersburg Secondary.

Well, the portion from Bee Hunter to Vincennes was abandoned, but the PRR north of there remained in place, current ISRR. They used the MILW between Bee Hunter and Elnora to get over to the NYC between there and Evansville. NYC came out of Terre Haute, crossed the PRR at Worthington, went over towards Elletsville (triple crossing), and down towards Elnora. NYC north of Worthington was abandoned pretty early on from there to Riley, IN.

Practice Safe CSX

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Buy A Sampling of Penn Central by Jerry Taylor. There's several pages on the Petersburg Sec and the coal traffic and it's operations. Well worth the money.

[urlhttp://www.amazon.com/Sampling-Penn-Central-So ... 025333702X#_][/url]