Greencastle-Terre Haute Area

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
GenXRailMedia
Railroadfan...fan

Greencastle-Terre Haute Area

Unread post by GenXRailMedia »

Next week -- likely Thursday -- I will be making a family-related trip to the area and will have some spare time to foam (might as well make the most of it, since gas is costing an arm and a leg.)

Any suggestions on what I might see on the CSX St. Louis line, or any good photo locations? Any info would be appreciated.

Adam
"I'll stop you by the radio there, TV-19."

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kc8wjg/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GenXRailMedia?feature=mhee

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Greencastle-Terre Haute Area

Unread post by CSX_CO »

KC8WJG wrote:Next week -- likely Thursday -- I will be making a family-related trip to the area and will have some spare time to foam (might as well make the most of it, since gas is costing an arm and a leg.)

Any suggestions on what I might see on the CSX St. Louis line, or any good photo locations? Any info would be appreciated.
Greencastle proper is pretty poor shooting. The NYC is on a pretty well grade separated ROW through there. In fact, the last grade crossing is at 36, the next is out near MP 50. There are plenty of overhead bridges east and west of town to compensate though. Daytime curfew on the St. Louis line Saturday thru Thursday, but might be wrapped up by the time you get out there next week. That being said, if its still in effect, anything going west of Terre Haute gets held at Avon until about 1500 before the flood gates open. One day last week there was Q131, Q686, W092, W022, K594 all waiting to go west, along with the normal trains that Avon originates around that time (J721, Q595, Q239). The former Monon in town will only host J771, and he's not through there until after dark, though you might get some G train moves off the connection onto the St. Louis line.

Bring a Delorme, and do some exploring. Nice overhead bridge west of town over Racoon Creek fill. Long zoom shot into the MP 46 signals.

Finally, I recommend the restaurant on US 231 where the Monon crosses. Nice family place, and a Monon theme.

Practice Safe CSX

GenXRailMedia
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GenXRailMedia »

Thanks CSX_CO, plenty of good info.

I'm thinking that I won't waste any time and just head straight to T.Haute. What/when does the INRD run over there?
"I'll stop you by the radio there, TV-19."

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kc8wjg/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GenXRailMedia?feature=mhee

CSXIndyLine
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXIndyLine »

KC8WJG wrote:Thanks CSX_CO, plenty of good info.

I'm thinking that I won't waste any time and just head straight to T.Haute. What/when does the INRD run over there?
If you are looking for INRD, you might want to go down to Jasonville, where their main yard and engine supply is.
You sometimes can find a geep in Van Yard, amidst the sea of hoppers. Don't count out the Baker turn either.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

KC8WJG wrote:Thanks CSX_CO, plenty of good info.

INRD should have jobs running around town most weekdays. Usually a 4 axle parked off Fruitridge Ave at Van Yard. You can pull off and take photos. Otherwise, they'll be moving around town somewhere or switching at Van.

Baker job comes up from Hiawatha in the evenings, not sure what time its called though. The big road power doesn't usually make it up to Terre Haute, unless its on a coal train for Fayette. You'll see the 4 axle GP38-2's, and the SD40-2's mostly.

Traffic on the CE&D has been down because of flooding along the Ohio River. If the river receeds by Thursday, you might see quite a bit of traffic on the CE&D at Terre Haute until the St. Louis line opens back up. But, curfew should be done by Thursday, so it should be business as usual.

Practice Safe CSX