Ron Troyer Fired from NYC Museum

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Ron Troyer Fired from NYC Museum

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

http://www.etruth.com/Know/News/Story.aspx?ID=539725

Not sure what to say about this, I wish him the best in the future!
Last edited by TrainWatcher on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supraman
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ron Troyer Fired from NYC Museum

Unread post by supraman »

The mayor who let slip away the opportunity to restore 3001 says Troyer has no managing skills? haha

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Ron Troyer sounds like a very nice man. But here is another side that may be why he was fired.

Is it possible that the mayor genuinely wants the museum to grow and prosper? And if that is the case is it possible that despite his niceness RT may not have the skill base to take the museum to the next level?

I am not weighing in either way as I do not know anything about the situation. This is just food for thought.

I will give you an example, we had a super nice retiree managing our warehouse. A major part of his job was managing inventory which is crucial to our companies cost controls. Every month he would make small errors but they were not so big that anyone felt he should be let go. Afterall he was a hard working and exteremly pleasant man. Everyone loved him. So we worked with him to try and sharpen his skills. Then one month he made a huge mistake and cost our company an entire months profit. We offered him another position but sadly, he chose to leave. We told everyone he left voluntarily to pursue other interests so as not to embarrass him. Some people on the outside who knew him but did not know the whole story said we were a cruel and mean company for letting such a nice man go. But those of us on the inside knew why he had to be let go otherwise we would have to spend too much time backchecking him.

Maybe something like this is happening at the museum. :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

As someone long visited the Museum in the 90s and early 00s, and then worked there in 2007 as a volunteer/intern, I have to say that Ron Troyer was one of the best directors that place has ever had. I was absolutely amazed when I visited in December 2010, about 3 years after I worked there, what fine shape the place was in. Exhibits had been completed redeveloped. New artifacts were on display. Some equipment had been painted/work done out in the yard. Most of all, there were actually people there, on a weekday afternoon. Ron Troyer, though I never worked directly with him, has done some fabulous things with the museum. From what I've been told, he was very much a realistic, think-outside-the-box kind of guy. And he knew how and where to pursue funding. The problem with the Museum is that it's city funded. It's a museum with a regional/national focus, funded by a city that has rightfully higher priorities. Nevermind that most of the actual equipment in the yard and several artifacts are actually owned by the Lake Shore RR Historical Society, not the museum or the city itself. It's a very unusual and difficult arrangement. It seems to me that Ron and the Mayor, who bless his soul doesn't seem to know much about how to run a Museum himself, have been at odds for quite a while. The 3001 restoration plan didn't seem to help matters, although I expect we can caulk up the very likelihood that it could have happened to Ron's directorship there. He was a realistic guy, who set realistic goals. He inspired people. He didn't alienate volunteers. And he was a creative guy who wanted to try to get things done!

I worked there in 2007 and the place was kind of a wreck. The museum had undergone an impressive transformation by late 2010 when I visited. I didn't work with Ron, but I met him once or twice and feel like he was one of the best leaders that place ever had. I just hope this Mayor knows what he's doing.

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

If you go back to that story and read the comments, It seems like this might be getting interesting. I heard about the possible ordeal from a woman I work with, guess its being talked about in the area.