Fort Wayne Railroad Attraction/Urban Revitalization Project

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
nathansixchime
Railroadfan...fan

Fort Wayne Railroad Attraction/Urban Revitalization Project

Unread post by nathansixchime »

For over a year the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society has been exploring a potential expansion opportunity in the City of Fort Wayne through a project known as Headwaters Junction, which aims to provide an attraction to anchor a major redevelopment project on the former New York Central yard in town (known as North River), immediately across the street from where the no. 765 use to be on display at 4th and Clinton Streets.

Following a year of positive responsive from the community and the city for the conceptual idea, the idea has been listed by someone on a site where people can vote for certain projects that are meant "for purposes which will promote the cultural, recreational, public, civic or economic well being of the community.”

For the general public the conceptual plan means to create a "versatile anchor for mixed use complimented by walkable pedestrian areas, green space and trailhead, water features, and riverfront access that embraces Fort Wayne’s cultural and historical significance. Headwaters Junction will transform North River into a sustainable and inviting public space for recreational, social, artistic, and commercial activities.

For the rail and rail preservation community, all of this takes place against the backdrop of a railroad attraction for the 21st Century: immersive, atmospheric, and engaging and would provide the society a local and meaningful "center stage" and give the locomotive and its stablemates a high-visibility home as it continues operating throughout the midwest on passenger excursion trains.

Imagine Strasburg, but built for the new century. Imagine an attraction district on the riverfront where shops, restaurants, and venues are set within a characteristic railyard that provides an attraction and service all by itself. Imagine a place that could host an event like Michigan's TrainFestival, but also offer education outreach programs like RailCamp, and unique outings like dinner trains. Instead of adapting a facility to host a RailCamp, TrainFestival, etc, this is a place designed with those uses in mind.

One of the biggest battles we face in Fort Wayne is people not knowing we exist because of our current and thus far limited operations in the immediate area. For an organization with such a significant cultural icon like the 765, I would like to change that.

If you could take a moment to help elevate the project into the conversation about Fort Wayne's future, it would be deeply appreciated. You can leave up to 3 votes and comments about the kind of attraction this is or what a well managed, well run operation can mean for its community, it would also help better illustrate the cause. If you have experience or knowledge regarding short line railroads and how they can help turn around fledgling spurs and railroads, let it be known, as part of this plan establishes a freight line railroad on 3 miles of the Grand Rapids & Indiana.

It is described as a "museum" in the description, but at its core it is a cultural gateway project that could solidify the future of the organization and the 765 in a manner very similar to the efforts of the Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation in Portland, Oregon where they are building a home for their three locomotives in a brand new redevelopment area known as the Oregon Science and Industry District.

Please take a few moments to learn more about the project: http://headwatersjunction.com

And you can vote here: http://bit.ly/fF7jJB - the thread has recently been visited by many "trolls," mostly those visiting from competing ideas, who are latching onto the "museum" word and riding it into the ground. The idea here isn't to be the most popular, but to be the one that can help best benefit the community at large.

Though this plan remains entirely conceptual and faces many more challenges, grassroots efforts like these show the power behind them. It needs a big push in 2011 and deserves to continue to be a part of the conversation about the future of Fort Wayne and its quality of life.

Many thanks,
Kelly Lynch
Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society
http://www.fwrhs.org

bumthum
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Fort Wayne Railroad Attraction/Urban Revitalization Proj

Unread post by bumthum »

I just joined this board and am only in the beginning stages of researching the Headwaters Junction proposal. I noticed in some of the literature that there is also a contemplated short line freight operation associated with this project. Would the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society be the operator of this short line or is there another operator interested in the project should it come about as proposed?

nathansixchime
Railroadfan...fan

The FWRHS would be a "tenant" of the attraction and a separate organization would operate the freight line.
Kelly Lynch

bumthum
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bumthum »

Ah I see. Is there a short line presently interested? I would imagine that having interest from a company already in the business of running a short line would go a long way to help sell the city on this idea.

My 5 year old daughter and I got out to the FWRRHS on Sat. and she loved it. I brought Headwaters Junction up with the gentleman who gave us a tour and discussed how the Conway Scenic RR was in a much smaller town than Fort Wayne (Conway is semi-isolated by mountains), yet does pretty well both at drawing riders and producing revenue. I think with the right marketing, backing from local businesses, and the city, this project could do well in Fort Wayne. However, its seems a bit ambitious, in terms of physical plant and property, as a startup. Is there a less aggressive backup plan available just to get the ball rolling if investors and the city balk at the initial outlay?

nathansixchime
Railroadfan...fan

Well, restoring and operating a 1944-built steam locomotive could be considered a pretty ambitious start up for a group of all volunteers, though admittedly Headwaters Junction is very much a culture change in terms of scope and business model.

There has been a much smaller plan to develop the property at New Haven, but no progress or advancement has been made in over ten years. The plan incorporates a display building, a station, and some additional tracks, but it is my feeling that this type of operation should be a last resort. As far as the short line goes, this has been a very proactive effort with several interested individuals with short line and Class 1 experience who have actually been exploring the freight side long before the tourist side came into play. It sweetens the deal very much.

I speak with hesitance about the current location because it is out of the way and off the beaten path, there is not much "draw" beyond the trains themselves, and that type of model represents a model that railroad museums already struggle with, especially if you have limited to non-existent operations. We have no way to operate any further than a quarter mile of industrial trackage at our present facility and the cost/benefit of slowly implementing these types of developments over time is considerable. It would be and has been hugely difficult to get sponsorship of an operation that is very much removed from the population and very limited in scope. We are looking to upgrade our facility soon with some additional rail to replace a lot of the 1923 Erie stick rail, but these are not developments that make a place people friendly, like restrooms or concrete or an interpretive display center. Edgerton Road wouldn't be abandoned as part of being downtown, it effectively becomes another backstage for heavy restoration work and storage of projects that aren't yet fit for the public, thereby keeping rusty boxcars or passenger equipment and keeping it out of the way.

Though this is a bit of "doomsday scenario," a future where a Class 1 is too busy or completely uninterested in hosting your engine (or allowing it on the property) is very likely and we were fortunate that the 765 was down during the most palatable anti-steam years on the major railroads. There were times when they wouldn't even answer the phone. That's a future that could effectively park our engine. We need contingencies. While I recognize the sheer difficulties involved in getting Headwaters Junction off the ground, I want to know we tried. There was a long held sentiment that the city didn't want much to do with us and thankfully that sentiment has been proven false.

One of our other challenges is the limited scope of our operations -- yes, we have the beginnings of an education outreach program which I hope will become stronger, but what do any of the major steam operators offer beyond a cool ride? The train ride itself as a draw is becoming weaker and the competition for time and money is ever greater. Even if trains are the coolest thing ever, we need to give people a reason to care, and a reason to ride, and do more than just provide the vehicle on which to do so. We need to adopt programs that have a diverse appeal, are versatile in their offerings, and take clues from our competition in the entertainment business. There's a reason the North Pole Express in Owosso, Michigan makes so much money and brings in thousands of people when it's just the same old train trip if it were in the summer or fall.

Additionally, even at our present site the further acquisition or restoration of equipment that cannot be primarily used on excursions with the 765 is impractical. We restore things to not only make them run, but have them make money.

A museum or establishment that relies primarily on a "stuffed and mounted" equipment in a parking lot or "nose to tail" display scheme faces many more challenge of relevancy and successfully engaging the public. Railroad attractions need to become entertaining, meaningful, unique and engaging in order to be successful. My greatest fear is having a barn in New Haven with this incredible engine that no one cares about. There will always be railroad and history fans, but this machine is something capable of appealing to everyone but right now has limited local draw for a number of reasons, several of which are location based.

Asking for $50,000 for a project in the middle of nowhere, that may not even operate in the immediate towns or regions is much harder than asking for someone to help underwrite connecting the zoo to downtown, expanding an existing bike trail with a rail and trail program, or creating education, apprenticeship, and STEM centered programs within an important urban core, all of which could ultimately benefit what is essentially a train or restoration project, it just becomes a different animal depending on how and where its used and marketed.

The CEO of a major bank in the region told me there's nothing that would draw him to go look at the engine in New Haven where it sits, but if it was where people where, a part of the culture and experience of the city, then it automatically becomes something that everyone can care about and at the very least -- knows exists in the first place. I don't blame people for not knowing there's a big train in a shop in New Haven, a car in a garage doesn't do much to compel people, but the burden of making people care is on us and Headwaters Junction is aggressive because it needs to be. We are fighting a battle of relevancy and there are multiple clocks ticking.

Thanks for your comment on the website and for your visit! I hope you can catch us operating this year. Please feel free to introduce yourself -- if Ben was the one giving you the tour I may have just missed you last weekend. If you have any time, an email or letter to the mayor or director of especially John in community development would go a long way in showing the continued appeal of this concept using the same words you've written here and on the site. There are a good number of believers in the city already, HJ is waiting to see what happens, and hopes to have one of the best cases for development out there.

http://www.cityoffortwayne.org/contact- ... 46802.html
Kelly Lynch

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

nathansixchime - I enjoyed reading your well written letter about the challenges your organization faces. My hope is that your persistency will pay off with a big break some day. Best of luck!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

By looking at the map, the route would be what's left of the FtW&J and what is left of the GR&I, correct?? I know NS used to have a couple of good customers on what's left of the GR&I at the north end. I always thought that this line would make a good little rr; has NS expressed interest in selling the line??

bumthum
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bumthum »

Thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth response. I recognize the difficulties of operating from the current location on Edgerton. It is far easier to draw people to an "also" (something which is not the only attraction in the area) than it is to bring people out into what seems like the middle of nowhere. With the other destinations throughout the Fort Wayne area one could easily sell on the concept of a day at the zoo where one takes the train to lunch downtown or vice versa. Long term outlook is not something Fort Wayne government is famous for and Headwaters Junction is something that would take some time to fully mature in the community (it isnt immediate like an existing minor league baseball team). On the other hand, many states are seeking the restoration of rail lines on existing right of ways to both remove trucks/cars from the roads and to expand the business opportunities which come from rail service.

As I stated on the website, I believe Headwaters Junction is an excellent idea and has the greatest long term potential of any downtown development idea I have seen. Like most "train people" I am suprised to discover how many other people, I interact with on a daily basis, share some (or even a large) interest in trains/railroads. This is all more a matter of bringing the idea to the attention of as many people as possible and showing them how a year-round attraction in the downtown area would benefit the city as a whole.