Trip To Elkhart

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
laidback5699
Railroadfan...fan

Trip To Elkhart

Unread post by laidback5699 »

I am planning my first trip to the Elkhart area to view the huge yard.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
What I am in most need of is a list of Radio Frequencies for the yard.

Thanks to all:

sbrrpics
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Trip To Elkhart

Unread post by sbrrpics »

Norfolk Southern Chicago East /Toledo West dispatch channel is 160.800Mhz

Norfolk Southern Elkhart yard channel that i hear most chatter on is 161.0700Mhz

alot of people rail fan elkhart at the National New York Central Museum and the Elkhart AMTRAK station across the tracks from the museum also some people park along 933/old 33 which runs along the north side of the yard and right by the fuel pad

National New York Central Museum

721 South Main Street
Elkhart, IN 46516-3715
574-594-3001

hope this helps you out

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Yes, Indiana 933 (Old Route 33) runs the length of the main part of the yard on the north side. You can see a lot at 50mph. They do westbound crew changes at the west end sometimes, at the 426 milepost. There are some cool signal bridges at the west end of the yard, too. Near the west end is where they stash lots of older stuff....MofW cars, a couple cabooses, snowplows. The fuel pad is along 933 near Indiana 19, they fuel most through intermodal and trailer trains.

The Amtrak depot is a good spot, both the Lake Shore and Capitol Limiteds stop here. The NYC Museum is fantastic, well worth the check out. If you continue down S. Main street leaving Elkhart, you parallel the main line down to Goshen, there are lots of signals to see and plenty of opportunity to see track speed operation.

Hope this helps! Let us know what you see!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

laidback5699 wrote:I am planning my first trip to the Elkhart area to view the huge yard.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
What I am in most need of is a list of Radio Frequencies for the yard.

Thanks to all:
If your interested there will be a railfan meet as well as a special Night Photography session with The National New York Central Railroad Museum next weekend, January 22-23, 2011.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19526