Area Indy bakery expanding

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Area Indy bakery expanding

Unread post by redside20 »

Harlan Bakery is expanding in the Indianapolis Area, there facility near Avon Yard gets rail service as well. There is another facility on the other side of town
http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/ne ... p?ID=45492
Exit stage left

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Area Indy bakery expanding

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I don't believe the facility on Georgetown Road gets rail service. At least not directly at this time. Perhaps when their facility expands they may see use on their spur. Looking at bing maps it appears the facility has already expanded at least once in recent years. Zooming in at two different levels shows the progress.

Their facility in Avon does get flour in, and is the only customer served directly from the large yard here. They use about 3-4 cars of flour a day. All come off of the BNSF out west via Chicago. North Dakota Millers IIRC in CEFX and TILX type pressureaide covered hoppers. It wouldn't surprise me if they just transload for their Georgetown Rd plant off the cars at Avon because that facility doesn't seem large enough to use 4 cars of flour a day. Though, they may be making a lot of stuff in there.

It was always cruel to be standing on the hump in January on 3rd shift, wind howling, snow blowing, freezing your butt off, and smelling them making bread, bagels, etc.

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Area Indy bakery expanding

Unread post by AARR »

CSX_CO wrote:It was always cruel to be standing on the hump in January on 3rd shift, wind howling, snow blowing, freezing your butt off, and smelling them making bread, bagels, etc.

Practice Safe CSX
I know what you mean...I worked at a place that was downwind from Awrey Bakery in Livonia MI and the aroma was mouth watering awesome
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...