Close call in Kendallville

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Close call in Kendallville

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

From WNDU South Bend:

Three 15-year-old girls and a mystery man are being credited with rescuing a man whose wheelchair got stuck on railroad tracks as a train bore down on him in northeastern Indiana.

It happened Saturday in Kendallville, 25 miles north-northwest of Fort Wayne.

Jordan McCarty tells The News-Sun that she, Chelsea Stephens and Holly Handshoe were walking to pick up a movie from Family Video.

She says they saw Mike Schneider stuck on the Norfolk Southern tracks.

The girls and the man first tried to push Schneider forward and off the tracks, but the chair wouldn't budge.

McCarty then called 911, while the others kept working, managing to dislodge it by pushing it backward two minutes before a train barreled past.
http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/99736634.html
Last edited by BIG AMISH on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Re: Close call in Kendallville

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

main st?

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

Yes, it was Main St, Video showed three different trains and nice shots of the crossovers.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

I was down there on my way back from the rrfan meet in DUUUUSHLER, and got yelled at by some locals... Really busy street if my memory serves me correct...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

At first I thought they may be referring to the short line in Kendallville and was laughing at the reporters choice of wording, "as a train bore down on him". I can't imagine that short line doing anything more than 10-15 mph in that area :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

Main street in Kendallville is a very active place. I used to sit on my mom's back porch and I would see upwards of 15-25 trains in under four hours. almost all of them doing track speed. Got to love the Chicago Line.
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

amtrak1007 wrote:I was down there on my way back from the rrfan meet in DUUUUSHLER, and got yelled at by some locals... Really busy street if my memory serves me correct...
Yep. An extremely busy street (main north-south drag through town, can't remember the route number), however there is an open lot across from some less-than-desirable houses where one can sit. When I was there a Kendallville cop even parked in the lot nabbing speeders and never bothered me, even after I got my camera and tripod out and set up on the sidewalk.