Proposed Wellsboro connection track?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Proposed Wellsboro connection track?

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

On the post relating to the recent derailment on the CSX at Suman it was mentioned that there is a proposal to put a connection track in at Wellsboro to allow moves between the CN and CSX. Would this (if it comes to pass) be in the southeast quadrant (Westbound CSX to Westbound CN) or in the northwest quadrant (westbound CN to westbound CSX)? What traffic is "in play" to create the need for these transfer tracks?

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Re: Proposed Wellsboro connection track?

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

I'm not sure why they would need a connection at Wellsboro seeing how already have access to the EJE/CN at Curtis. You wouldn't think a railroad would build a connecton for "in the event of a derailment", but rather just focus on derailment prevention. A derailment would have to occur west of Wellsboro for the connection to be utilized. If a derailment happens east of Wellsboro, the connection sits there and rusts. If there were a connection put in, it would be in the southeast quadrant and would probably have to come off the CKIN lead or else things would have to be completely rearranged, again.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

That's kind of my thoughts too, if there is talk about adding one there - there has to be a specific business reason/case for doing so (not "just in case") I figured that if it is out there it would have something to do with changing traffic flows with the CN/EJ&E deal or something with "CREATE" but I'm not familiar enough with Chicagoland operations to say what routes/trains would benefit.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Mr. Tops wrote:I'm not sure why they would need a connection at Wellsboro seeing how already have access to the EJE/CN at Curtis. You wouldn't think a railroad would build a connecton for "in the event of a derailment", but rather just focus on derailment prevention. A derailment would have to occur west of Wellsboro for the connection to be utilized. If a derailment happens east of Wellsboro, the connection sits there and rusts. If there were a connection put in, it would be in the southeast quadrant and would probably have to come off the CKIN lead or else things would have to be completely rearranged, again.
If it involves cooperation, you put a connection in the NW quad, and if the NS spills them between Chicago and S. Bend, they can detour over that short stretch, instead of Chicago to Berea. CN spills them between Wellsboro and Chicago, they get on at Wellsboro, and back onto the EJE at E. Curtis. CSX spills them between Wellsboro and Chicago, get on the CN, and back off at Blue Island Jct, Thornton, etc.

There was talk of the CN using the CSX between Wellsboro and E. Curtis for better access to Kirk Yard. Just get on the City Track at E. Curtis and up and over the CSX and NS mains to get into the yard.

Practice Safe CSX

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Changes are a comming.........................That is all I can say about that :lol: :lol: :D :lol:

signal indication west Thorntan Jct...RA dispatcher Cal CIty is Out 8)

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

These connections at Wellsboro where supposed to be part of the intermodal terminal that the citizens of Porter Co. shot down. Seeing this project was built elsewhere, I'm not sure of the need for any changes to the current track arrangement at Wellsboro.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Look for big changes by this time next year......TTAM you still CN qualified?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

There is no way to make the connection to the "J" at Curtice with out pulling through the yard and around the baloon loop. Connection to and from Kirk and Curtice is only that direction, no direct west to west connection. CN rulesf for about another little while, I still am. Can you say Q175 Keatsup over half a pickle #1 to 2 to the CN connection?
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:There is no way to make the connection to the "J" at Curtice with out pulling through the yard and around the baloon loop. Connection to and from Kirk and Curtice is only that direction, no direct west to west connection. CN rulesf for about another little while, I still am. Can you say Q175 Keatsup over half a pickle #1 to 2 to the CN connection?
Why back to the B&OCT at Pine/E. Curtis? Think further west. Why not CN all the way to Blue Island Jct, or up to Hayford into Clearing.

Practice Safe CSX

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

CSX_CO wrote:
sd70accsxt700 wrote:There is no way to make the connection to the "J" at Curtice with out pulling through the yard and around the baloon loop. Connection to and from Kirk and Curtice is only that direction, no direct west to west connection. CN rulesf for about another little while, I still am. Can you say Q175 Keatsup over half a pickle #1 to 2 to the CN connection?
Why back to the B&OCT at Pine/E. Curtis? Think further west. Why not CN all the way to Blue Island Jct, or up to Hayford into Clearing.

Practice Safe CSX

And keep going past Hayford into Corwith for direct intermodal interchange between the BNSF and CSX. Don't worry though, going westbound you will only have to be CN qualified to the Monon connection at Maynard, that is where CSX rules will kick in. :wink:

Its coming.....

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

How about North Baltimore building intermodel trains for the BNSF or UP that could use the EJ&E loop and avoid Chicago land all together.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

So if/when this comes to pass, does CN get rights somewhere else on CSX in exchange? (thinking like the NS/CP arrangement that brought the CP trains to the Wabash)

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

MSchwiebert wrote:So if/when this comes to pass, does CN get rights somewhere else on CSX in exchange? (thinking like the NS/CP arrangement that brought the CP trains to the Wabash)
Yes, I do not know all of the details but I do know that it was down in Memphis.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Makes sense, was hoping for something out this way - but business comes first 8)
Typhoon wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:So if/when this comes to pass, does CN get rights somewhere else on CSX in exchange? (thinking like the NS/CP arrangement that brought the CP trains to the Wabash)
Yes, I do not know all of the details but I do know that it was down in Memphis.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

CSX_CO wrote:

Practice Safe CSX

Im pretty sure I have been saying this all along, but was told I dont know what is going on. In fact I have been preaching this thread for what a year now.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

While on the subject of changes coming to that part of Indiana, whatever happened to the planned cold storage facility at Kingsbury (if I remember right)?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

i dont know for sure, but when we went by there the other day comming home, there were stakes in the ground on the old east leg of the wye off the B&O that had not been there before.

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

CSX_CO wrote:

There was talk of the CN using the CSX between Wellsboro and E. Curtis for better access to Kirk Yard. Just get on the City Track at E. Curtis and up and over the CSX and NS mains to get into the yard.
I know at one time the CN was talking of getting on the Dearborn at South Bend, to go to Chicago
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

MSchwiebert wrote:While on the subject of changes coming to that part of Indiana, whatever happened to the planned cold storage facility at Kingsbury (if I remember right)?
It is not looking very good.

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net/ma ... leID=58160

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

I kinda figured that the project got hung up in the business slump. I wonder too if the proposed midwest & southern facilities for Railex (the customer that the Q090 trains are run for) got put on hold for the same reason, or if sites (presumably along CSX) have been selected and not yet announced?

Typhoon wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:While on the subject of changes coming to that part of Indiana, whatever happened to the planned cold storage facility at Kingsbury (if I remember right)?
It is not looking very good.

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net/ma ... leID=58160