NS L80 4-9-2010

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
bjett
Railroadfan...fan

NS L80 4-9-2010

Unread post by bjett »

The Ole L80 today was lead by HLCX 5956. bjett

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: NS L80 4-9-2010

Unread post by AARR »

Looks like a SD50 or 60...I can't tell the two apart
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bjett
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bjett »

AARR wrote:Looks like a SD50 or 60...I can't tell the two apart
My Diesel Guide from 2000 list it as a SD60, 3800 hp built 1986. bjett

nssd70
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70 »

Started out as a Chicago and North Western SD60.

Doug

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

So where does this L80 run?
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

bjett
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bjett »

railohio wrote:So where does this L80 run?
L80 operates East Central Indiana.
It is on a segment of the old NKP line that ran from Sandusky, Ohio to Peoria, Ill. NS sold the section from IN. OH. state Line at Ft. Recovery OH to Lima Oh. to R.J. Corman. NS runs the L80 from Muncie In. to Portland, In. with a five mile branch that goes west of Redkey, In. on a section of the old Panhandle PRR. This is now called the Redkey Secondary. At one time this was a double track main of the PRR from Pittsburgh, PA to Chicago. The track has been removed from Redkey east to Columbus, Oh. and west of Dunkirk In. to Hartford City. There was a night local, NS L83 that did the switching but when the FRA imposed a 10 mph on the line a couple years ago the L83 could never get their work finished. NS started running the L80. (departs E/B Muncie any where from noon to 2pm Monday through Friday. The L80 finishes at 5 pm and the L83 crew cabs out to Redkey at 6 pm. L80 usually works east yards at Muncie then goes to Dunkirk, In. to switch St. Gobain glass factory and Anderson grain. Then backs three miles or so to Redkey. The L83 takes the train on east to Portland, In. and switches Meshberger Stone Quarry, Red Gold (food stuff) and Poet Ethanol Plant . The thirty mile jaunt back to Muncie East yards takes 3 1/2 hours. For some reason the L80 is usually assigned interesting power. They have had the ex NKP SD9's when still in service, W&LE ex Rio Grand tunnel motors, KCS power in the Southern Bell paint scheme, ex CR SD38s just to name a few. At 10 mph very boring to follow but still interesting to me to keep an eye out for them. bejett

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

"Muncie" would've sufficed.

I've chased the line before, I just never got a symbol for the train.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

bjett
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bjett »

railohio wrote:"Muncie" would've sufficed.
(Late reply - been gone)
Oh, I thought there might be others on this board then you and me, and maybe someone just might not know where Muncie is located. Silly me---bjett

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

nevertheless..i'm another ohioan who knows about Muncie...unfortunately i've never set foot there yet
Exit stage left

Jhall
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jhall »

Thanks for the update on the Portland section Jett. My grandparents lived east of Portland 1/4 mile north of the Frankfort Dist. During summer stays I got aquainted with hi-hoods and also foreign power usually UP units. Kind of sad to see it now as it is used for car storage east of town.

Jeff Hall

bjett
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bjett »

Jhall wrote:Thanks for the update on the Portland section Jett. My grandparents lived east of Portland 1/4 mile north of the Frankfort Dist. During summer stays I got aquainted with hi-hoods and also foreign power usually UP units. Kind of sad to see it now as it is used for car storage east of town.

Jeff Hall
A up date on the L80 Jeff. Because of Bridge work at Redkey the L80 doesn't depart east yards until about 3-3:30 PM. The L83 came last night at 8:30 PM with HLCX 5977-HLCX 5947. Both ex UP. Been a while but the last time I checked there were stored Pig Flats east of Portland. They ran for six miles west from the state line. Crossing's were open but other wise a solid string. jett