NS Derailment in Waterloo?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: NS Derailment in Waterloo?

Unread post by railohio »

There's an eastbound NS reroute headed for Deshler now. I'll post when it passes.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Per the Capt. clean up about done gettig ready to start placing panel track. Reported from the Catch Can Bar Waterloo.

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

Looks like there will be no more reroutes for the Michigan line than if their gonna have it all cleaned up pretty soon? ):

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

any more news on if the track is open yet?
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

EJE Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJE Dispatcher »

20Q crossing over to the CSX at CP-501 to pull down for crew swap at Clark Rd.1625cdt

The 20Q is now Z006-27 and has a CSX crew and is eastbound at Clark Rd. 1650cdt
Last edited by EJE Dispatcher on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PriorrightsConrail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PriorrightsConrail »

The Michigan Line detours will be kept to a minimum for one good reason that is of the NS's own making: lack of crews. Since the lease of Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids to WATCO it forced about 75% of the Michigan Line employees out of town to places like Elkhart, Ft. Wayne, Detroit and Toledo. They just don't have the manpower to run too many extra trains. Only the hot mail trains will venture that way.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

PriorrightsConrail wrote:They just don't have the manpower to run too many extra trains. Only the hot mail trains will venture that way.
24M and 20E went via Deshler today.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

CSX Engineer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSX Engineer »

Well derailments usually come in three's and thats two so far for the NS, wouldnt suprise me to see another. I hope they dont have one i know how it is to have one happen ahead of you and sit for ever waiting for the taxi to come out and get you, plus then you have to wait until its cleared up before you get turned around and put on another train so you get screwed out of money.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

That is true CSX, my dad and other railroader's i talk to say that all the time..... per word from Pat C. trains are backing up both ways in Waterloo and the last welds are being done now and there getting ready to let trains loose!

EJE Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJE Dispatcher »

20W NS 9686 is coming to CP-501 to head on to CSX to Clark Rd for crew swap. 2004cdt

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

first two trains a east and west were Ballest trains, First offical train a EB just tolled through Waterloo a few minutes ago and are stacked upppppppppppppppppppp behind.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Do you have any idea how many are stacked up? I'm thinking about checking some of this stuff out in the next few hours east of Toledo.
Brett

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

i do not but i would say quite a bit of freights and some low priority intermodal, i was getting the updates from PAT C. and he left after the first.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Thank you.
Brett

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

We went done to Elkhart today hoping to catch the opening of the flood gates. Apparently NS took their time opening both tracks. We got to Elkhart around 11:00am and saw two WB leave towards Chicago. Nothing going east at all. There where 5 trains we could see sitting around the fuel pad waiting to head east. The eastbound yard was full. Diesel house was over run with power and taking as much as they could out to the yard and tying on the eastbounds.
Went down to the CSX (B&O) and saw quiet a few. Worked our way west and ended up at Porter\Burns Harbor. Only thing we saw moving there was P370-27 going through Ogden Dunes. CSX (B&O) was still hopping as some NS reroutes where being turned over to CSX at North Clark RD. Sounds like CSX dispatcher was having a fun day with the reroutes.
We where around Porter\Chesterton for over an hour and never heard anything on the NS channels except P370. Haven't been skunked like that in Porter in over a decade. Oh well, home now will post full trip report to the other forum.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

The track work was amazing. 26T was the firs train through last night. 10MPH through the work zone.

Ill dig out more photo's soon.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 752&nseq=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 804&nseq=5
Mark it Zero.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Nor would Grand Elk have enough pilots to run too much that way. I would think that they've had the line long enough that there wouldn't be enough NS crews still qualified on the line. In NS's defense though, it doesn't make a whole lot of business sense to have an excess of crews assigned to a place like K-Zoo for "what if's".
PriorrightsConrail wrote:The Michigan Line detours will be kept to a minimum for one good reason that is of the NS's own making: lack of crews. Since the lease of Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids to WATCO it forced about 75% of the Michigan Line employees out of town to places like Elkhart, Ft. Wayne, Detroit and Toledo. They just don't have the manpower to run too many extra trains. Only the hot mail trains will venture that way.

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

MSchwiebert wrote:Nor would Grand Elk have enough pilots to run too much that way. I would think that they've had the line long enough that there wouldn't be enough NS crews still qualified on the line. In NS's defense though, it doesn't make a whole lot of business sense to have an excess of crews assigned to a place like K-Zoo for "what if's".
Doubt they could get anyone to take a assignment to K-Zoo, not much money for the paycheck not working unless something derails. I hope they play hell getting crews anytime they need to detour over the Grand Elk. :mrgreen:

MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

NS will NEVER reroute through the Michigan line/Kzoo Branch.

Been working the derailment since Saturday. Rail gang should be done tonight. Then the switches have to be hooked up and signals called to prove the routes before it's 100%.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Mark it Zero.