Icy RR-xing causes HS student to slide into oncoming train

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Jeff L
(00:00:00) Jeff L: #1

Icy RR-xing causes HS student to slide into oncoming train

Unread post by Jeff L »

The winter weather caused his death. School was still open "before" to the accident and they closed school "after" the accident. They say it was due to the weather. Aren't these school districts supposed to make a final decision around 4, 5, or 6am? The schools should have been closed.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=11959541

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/22512440/detail.html#
click Images: "TeenKilledInCrashWithTrain" to see pics

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Icy RR-xing causes HS student to slide into oncoming train

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

one winter i almost took out a cantilevered rr crossing signal one winter that spans 3 lanes at a intersection when the light changed my chevy astro van was sliding at a 45 degree angle toward the signal luckily it bounced of the curb doing 55 mph
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Excessive speed for road conditions killed him, so whoever had the foot on the gas was the main factor. Plain, simple! The posted speed is for IDEAL conditions. Notice how of all the other people on the road driving in that area wern't killed by winter, the first responders at the scene didn't smash into anything

Sorry the kid is dead but there is only one person in the entire world who decides how fast your car goes*, the driver, not the school, some store, work or any other thing just the driver.

Some of us are lucky enough to get another chance when we make such a mistake like pushing it a lil faster on snowy roads. I bet once you recovered astro you didn't leave that piece of road at 55 then did you :? Sadly this young man didn't get a chance to learn.

This very incident is why I hate working in the winter, you see them flying up to the crossing as your getting closer then the brake lights come on as i wonder will this one slide in front of me. I have seen fools laughing as they slide sideways up near the gate not stopping to think that A) I KNOW you didn't "Plan" that. B) That he/she was merely feet from being on the snowplow and not in a condition to be seen.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

I have to agree with espeerrfan that the storm is not the cause. Stupid driving is!

Nobody can take responsibility for their own actions anymore. They need to blame it on someone or something else.
Norm