Monon semaphores

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Monon semaphores

Unread post by SD80MAC »

RailroadJenn wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:Signals will be deactivated and removed on December 14th starting at 0900 hrs.

Practice Safe CSX
That's a darn shame. It really bugs me when they decide to take down certain artifacts that they find pointless. . .just because. Oh well. Those are some really nifty photos you took, GP. Now you have historical evidence that these train signals existed at one point. Do make sure to make copies. You'll certainly want to share them with other enthusiasts. :D
"Just because"? You know how hard parts are to find/buy for those antiques?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

^ Also keep in mind that there's Positive Train Control coming in the future.

amtk24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by amtk24 »

It Is finished.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

As I know someone will ask, he means all the signals are gone as of this AM
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Conrail Jon wrote:
RailroadJenn wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:Signals will be deactivated and removed on December 14th starting at 0900 hrs.

Practice Safe CSX
That's a darn shame. It really bugs me when they decide to take down certain artifacts that they find pointless. . .just because. Oh well. Those are some really nifty photos you took, GP. Now you have historical evidence that these train signals existed at one point. Do make sure to make copies. You'll certainly want to share them with other enthusiasts. :D
"Just because"? You know how hard parts are to find/buy for those antiques?

Don't forget that OSHA would not let maintainers climb them anymore due to the lack of a saftey cage on the ladder. They had to get a boom truck anytime work needed to be done, no matter how small. That gets real old after a while.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Typhoon wrote:Don't forget that OSHA would not let maintainers climb them anymore due to the lack of a saftey cage on the ladder. They had to get a boom truck anytime work needed to be done, no matter how small. That gets real old after a while.
Is this just for those signals because they were that old? I just ask as there is hardley any signals at all on the CSX system that have cage's on the ladder.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

amtk24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by amtk24 »

[quote]Don't forget that OSHA would not let maintainers climb them anymore due to the lack of a saftey cage on the ladder. They had to get a boom truck anytime work needed to be done, no matter how small. That gets real old after a while. [quote]

They climbed up them all the time for work. The new signals don't have cages on them.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

amtk24 wrote:
Don't forget that OSHA would not let maintainers climb them anymore due to the lack of a saftey cage on the ladder. They had to get a boom truck anytime work needed to be done, no matter how small. That gets real old after a while.

They climbed up them all the time for work. The new signals don't have cages on them.
They weren't supposed to be climbing anything above a certain height. Most of the semaphores had 'do not climb' orders on them. The NB shorty would be an exception, since it wasn't very tall. See a red tag on the ladder, that's a 'do not climb'. I know both of the signals at Main St were 'do not climb'. I was in the Crawfordsville Trailer one morning when one of the maintainers mentioned 'another' signal had become 'do not climb'.

OSHA requires safety cages for any ladders over a certain height. I've seen plenty of new signal bridges installed with the full safety cages. Individual masts don't usually get them, but that's because the climb itself isn't very much. On the SafeTRANS signals, most of the work can be accomplished from on top of the relay cabinet that doubles as a platform.

Practice Safe CSX

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

Went down to check out the carnage yesterday. I didn't get there as early as I had planned, wasn't until early afternoon. When I got to Main St, all I saw was a pile of masts :( Looks like the Ames signals and both Main St ones were there. Did get a pic of a northbound going by the site. Also checked out the northern pair and they were gone too. After that, headed back north on 231 and saw one of the vertical tri-lights laying on the ground (it was still in place on the way down)...they had just pulled it out and were heading north, so I got pics of them pulling out the other tri-light and the searchlight by the 231 overpass just south of Linden. The boom truck had all the semaphore heads in the back, except for shorty, he was intact on a trailing flatbed trailer. They set the tri-light one down carefully, but the searchlight one didn't fare so well :(
As to those distinctive Monon green-light crossing signals, I haven't seen any out in the field, but I see the Monon Connection museum north of Monon has one now inside.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

AMTK24 on another board captured this documentary footage of all 5 of the Crawfordsville blades coming down on December 14. They only lost on blade in the work :(. It looks like the "shorty" blade will be preserved on its mast, while the others were all cut just below the motor and blade mount.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AMTK24#p/a/u/0/rNoI7lHZAzw

End of an era.

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

Judging by the comments on that video, it sounds like the majority of the blades will be saved.
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway