Michigan City street running

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Michigan City street running

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

I'm surprized nobody has postd this news yet.

If you haven't shot the street running in Michigan City, you now have until 2015 to shoot it. http://chestertontribune.com/Northwest% ... hedule.htm

The trackage is supposed to be moved by 2015. Looks like PTC may doom the street running, as they say there is no way to add PTC to the street running trackage. Plans are to move the line to the south side of the streets it currently runs down the middle of, and eliminate many of the crossings in Michigan City. The new line is supposed to be a double track high speed line. 2015 is still a ways out, but if you are in the Michigan City area and have never shot the street running before, I wouldn't waste any time.

I guess it's progress, but it'll be sad to see the street running go away, as it is the busiest real, genuine street running trackage still in the midwest. The unique character of the South Shore in Michigan City will be lost to another generic double track line.
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway

SouthShoreRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Michigan City street running

Unread post by SouthShoreRailfan »

I think the plan to move the tracks is dead. Most Michigan City officials say its a waste of money, NICTD is the only one that wants the tracks to be moved. There are way way to many houses and businesses in the way. And Ron Hamilton Jr. just won the 3rd ward council seat and he is strongly against the move. He said it would turn many streets into dead ends and cause major problems for the school bussses and emergency vehicles. So hopefullly the tracks will stay right where they are.

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

Yeah, that article is nearly 2 years old (dated 6-1-2009)

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

SouthShoreRailfan wrote:I think the plan to move the tracks is dead. Most Michigan City officials say its a waste of money, NICTD is the only one that wants the tracks to be moved. There are way way to many houses and businesses in the way. And Ron Hamilton Jr. just won the 3rd ward council seat and he is strongly against the move. He said it would turn many streets into dead ends and cause major problems for the school bussses and emergency vehicles. So hopefullly the tracks will stay right where they are.
The move is going to happen, however the route has not been chosen as of yet. According to this article there is a study being done to decide which route to use, either the CSX trackage to the south, the southside of 11th st plan that has been discussed, or the Amtrak route to the north.

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/ ... mode=story

From what I have read the Amtrak route has the least chance of going forward. The Trail Creek drawbridge would need to be replaced, along with trackage on the old NKP right of way to get back to the current South Shore trackage.

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

Typhoon wrote:
SouthShoreRailfan wrote:I think the plan to move the tracks is dead. Most Michigan City officials say its a waste of money, NICTD is the only one that wants the tracks to be moved. There are way way to many houses and businesses in the way. And Ron Hamilton Jr. just won the 3rd ward council seat and he is strongly against the move. He said it would turn many streets into dead ends and cause major problems for the school bussses and emergency vehicles. So hopefullly the tracks will stay right where they are.
The move is going to happen, however the route has not been chosen as of yet. According to this article there is a study being done to decide which route to use, either the CSX trackage to the south, the southside of 11th st plan that has been discussed, or the Amtrak route to the north.

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/ ... mode=story

From what I have read the Amtrak route has the least chance of going forward. The Trail Creek drawbridge would need to be replaced, along with trackage on the old NKP right of way to get back to the current South Shore trackage.
That article is talking about something totally different, adding a route to Lowell. The only mention of Michigan City realignment is this:
In other business, the NICTD board approved TranSystems Corp of Chicago to provide the South Shore realignment through Michigan City
Also, why would the trail creek drawbridge need to be replaced? It'd just get alot more use, that's all...perhaps using both tracks across it would help. The missing track on the NKP isn't more than a mile or so.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

csxt4617 wrote: Also, why would the trail creek drawbridge need to be replaced? It'd just get alot more use, that's all...perhaps using both tracks across it would help. The missing track on the NKP isn't more than a mile or so.

From what I understand something on the bridge is grandfathered in, and the addition of the South Shore would void that grandfather clause.

http://chestertontribune.com/Northwest% ... hedule.htm

"At one time a northerly realignment was considered but Parsons said that estimate was in excess of $200 million because of a bridge over Trail Creek. Using the tracks to the south near Ames Field would cost about $65 million plus land acquisition, but that route proved difficult to maneuver train cars into NICTD’s maintenance yards."

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

SouthShoreRailfan wrote:I think the plan to move the tracks is dead.
I think you're dead wrong. The city is helping to pay for the current (just awarded in March) study for replacing the line through Michigan City. The "do nothing" option is not viable ... the northern options are too expensive. The southern option is not feasible. The 11th St option is the most direct and best route, eliminating dangerous crossings and upgrading the remaining crossings into modern, safe, installations.
csxt4617 wrote:Also, why would the trail creek drawbridge need to be replaced? It'd just get alot more use, that's all...perhaps using both tracks across it would help. The missing track on the NKP isn't more than a mile or so.
Catenary on a moveable structure? Not the best thing. Besides, NICTD has enough problems with conflicts with Amtrak at 10th St (with Amtrak blocking the interlocking for much longer than they need to just to get their trains through). Sharing trackage and adding conflicts with boats is not a good plan.

The bridge option, tall enough to clear the masts on the sailboats using the marina, is probably the best northern option - but it is the most expensive. An alternative northern option would be to stay west of the waterway, but that would interfere with the city's Trail Creek development plans. And most northern alternatives seem to restrict NICTD/SouthShore to a single track (what they have now) with no provision for a double track future. Room for a second track needs to be included in all plans.

All of this will come out over the next year or so as the official study is done ... an alternative will be chosen. At the end of it all don't be surprised if 11th St becomes the final answer.