Hoosier Sub in trouble

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Hoosier Sub in trouble

Unread post by redside20 »

Any of you Indiana folks can help me out. I've been seeing talk about the CSX hoosier sub possibly being being railbanked. It was also stated that the INRD took their trains off of it and had the trains rerouted down the LIRC. The section in question is from Bedford Indiana to maybe Mitchell or is it Seymour. Can anyone clarify this?
Exit stage left

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Hoosier Sub in trouble

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Hoosier Sub is the former Monon between Bedford and Louisville. Line needs ALOT of work, and there is little to no on-line business. Because of the economy, INRD is using the LIRC as a 'bridge' for their traffic to Louisville. If/when traffic picks up, the INRD will revisit using the Monon to reach Louisville. Also, the agreement between CSX and INRD bases the MOW fees on the usage. With CSX pulling their sole train, INRD would be financially responsible for the entire line.

INRD is sending Louisville traffic to Avon for classification onto the LIRC's daily train.

Not going to Louisville directly isn't ideal for INRD, but it makes the most sense at this point in time.

Practice Safe CSX

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

thank you for clearing that up RD, that pretty much clears up what facts i've been trying to piece together so i can form an opinion. Yes the line in question is the former Monon and isn't there a major customer just northwest of Bedford? Crane Naval Weapons Center is the customer in question and what do they switch there?
Exit stage left

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

redside20 wrote:thank you for clearing that up RD, that pretty much clears up what facts i've been trying to piece together so i can form an opinion. Yes the line in question is the former Monon and isn't there a major customer just northwest of Bedford? Crane Naval Weapons Center is the customer in question and what do they switch there?
Crane traffic is switched by INRD, and the majority of it goes up towards Chicago. There may be a handful of cars that head to Louisville, but most of it comes out and heads to Chicago. From Crane to Bedford there are no customers on the INRD either. They have talked of railbanking or abandoning between Crane switch and Bedford.

Practice Safe CSX