Garett Railroad Display

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Garett Railroad Display

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

When in Garrett Indiana in early May, I found the box cars in the railroad display on the south side of the tracks, east of the underpass smoldering away with much smoke. I later heard they were scrapping all the display cars, and the reason for the fire and smoke is that they were burning out all of the wooden sides inside the cars. The display has been there for years and included an old B&O Alco Switcher, 9050 I believe was the number. A trip by there last Saturday showed much scrapping equipment and dumpsters around and most everything was now gone.

I had wondered if the Alco switcher would be cut up as well and thought how sad if true. Seems to me the display on the north side of the tracks, west of the underpass at the museum, that also has C&O blue caboose 3250 would be a good place for it. Saturday, I found all that remained of the B&O Alco switcher was the frame and trucks. Anyone know if it is being cut up? Always a possiblity that the long hood and cab could have been trucked out somewhere, and they are just waiting to truck out the frame and trucks too.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Garett Railroad Display

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I think everything was scrapped. What remained on the south side there was in too bad of shape to be moved. I guess than rather let it rust away completely, they scrapped what remained and got a little bit of value out of it. I believe the ALCO was scrapped some time ago.

Practice Safe CSX

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Alco would have been scraped with the rest of the boxcars this week. It was still there last trip I had last week.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Alco would have been scraped with the rest of the boxcars this week. It was still there last trip I had last week.
Ah, well ok then. The last time I was in Garrett, which would have been...probably 2 years ago...they were in the process then of at least starting to scrap that collection. I know they had been storing parts to the B&O signals inside that 'pen' inside at least one of those box cars, and they were moving that stuff out even back then in preparation for scrapping the box cars and the locomotive. With the work they'd done back then, I'd assumed they had just went ahead with getting rid of the locomotive, as they had said it would be the first to go.

Practice Safe CSX

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I guess I should be glad I got over there not too long ago.
Bottom text.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Wonder what happened, back when I lived in Ft. Wayne I helped put down the track for the baggage car & caboose that's next to the depot. Did a little help with the painting of the switcher as well. Admittedly I lost touch of things once I moved back to Ohio back in 1997. I recall seeing that they had got the insulated box cars that used to be in Ft. Wayne across from Science Central and didn't understand why. In any event it's too bad if there wasn't enough interest around any longer to support/maintain the equipment.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

On the trip by this weekend, all but the CPL and a little one man shack were gone, and in piles.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Tlout
WZZM's "train expert"

Unread post by Tlout »

There just wasn't enough money or volunteers to maintain the display. My dad, Dale Loutzenhiser, used to spend a lot of time working to help keep things in good shape, but he passed away in 2003.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Sorry to hear about your dad, I remember him from when I lived in Ft. Wayne and belonged to the Garrett Model Railroad club. I understand the difficulties in trying to maintain an interest for stuff like that. Especially for the next generation of folks.
Tlout wrote:There just wasn't enough money or volunteers to maintain the display. My dad, Dale Loutzenhiser, used to spend a lot of time working to help keep things in good shape, but he passed away in 2003.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

ditto for the Mad River Museum in Bellevue
Exit stage left

Tlout
WZZM's "train expert"

Unread post by Tlout »

MSchwiebert wrote:Sorry to hear about your dad, I remember him from when I lived in Ft. Wayne and belonged to the Garrett Model Railroad club. I understand the difficulties in trying to maintain an interest for stuff like that. Especially for the next generation of folks.
Tlout wrote:There just wasn't enough money or volunteers to maintain the display. My dad, Dale Loutzenhiser, used to spend a lot of time working to help keep things in good shape, but he passed away in 2003.
Yeah - and I'll be darned if my mom who used to help run the gift shop at the museum passed away earlier this month!